When Should I Start The Cake And How To Store/transport?

Decorating By powers4god Updated 29 May 2011 , 6:44pm by simplysouthern

powers4god Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 6

I have always made cakes just for fun and am finishing up midwifery school. For our Physiology of Reproduction class we were given the assignment of making an artistic representation of all of the aspects of the menstrual cycle. Well, my artistic talent is cake decorating so of course everyone in my class having seen my cakes begged me to make one for this assignment. Thinking it would be an easy cake to make, and it will be, I said yes. I have a 3 hour commute, in the FL heat, in a car with 2 other classmates. My questions are 1) How soon can I make the cake? It is due this Tuesday morning. I am on call so I could get called in anytime between now and Monday night. It will probably take me about 3 hours to do all the fondant pieces which will stick to the sides of the cake therefore making it difficult to make them too far in advance because the hardening makes it difficult to form to the sides. I use Satin Ice for my fondant and I usually add a little gum paste when working with it to make decorations. I'm planning on a 3 layer 14 inch round Chocolate cake with Raspberry filling (appropriate for the menstrual cycle I thought) 2) I like to use buttercream under my fondant for those who do not like fondant. What other type of frosting would hold up well unrefrigerated, sit under fondant well, and taste good? 3) How should I store it between finishing it, transporting it, and presenting it to my class?

Any tips, tricks, and advice is appreciated!

Blessings,
Rachel

5 replies
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 6

I know ganache can hold up and I really like the taste of it =) Make sure to use a non-perishable raspberry filling so it can sit out. I use smuckers jam and mix it with buttercream so it is not too runny. It would also be really yummy to spread a thin layer of ganche, then the jam then another thin layer of ganache for the filling!

Could you maybe make all of the extra parts/decorations with your gumpaste fondant mix ASAP and let them sit, and then not cover the whole cake till the last second and then place and arrange everything? DO you mean it makes it difficult to attach the stuff if they are too hard?? You could use royal icing to attch. But maybe I missunderstood why you can't make them ahead of time... If you don't want them to get too hard maybe don't add the gumpaste or use MMF....It takes forever for that stuff to dry out, at least for me =)

If you don't use a "real" raspberry filling you can let it sit just cover in saran or a cake box....As far as transport, crank the AC and don't let anyone hold it on their lap! Good luck, sounds like a fun project.

MaurorLess67 Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 6

Im so glad you posted this question powers I was just about to ask almost the same thing-

I have a 3 tier graduation cake- will be covered in fondant- after reading I guess I should try and put ganache under fondant- (more stable)-- here's my dilemma- I am attending the graduation at Nassua Collesium- anyone from NY knows what that entails-ugh and then the dinner celebration is in Huntington Village- pretty far not only from the grad venue but so so far from my house (i'm on the South shore-Sayville- restaurant on the North shore) -- it is a heck of a drive- meaning- its stop and go/ hills etc- just a cake delivery nightmare.

I'm worried about leaving the cake in the car for the ceremony, and then getting it to the restaurant-- There is no way that I can drop it ahead of time- believe me I checked--oooh and the warm/hot/humid weather JUST hit Long Isand- just my luck- up till last week- we haven't gotten over 60 degrees-

Any suggestions of what I should/could do? I'm a total wreck- a real wreck- TIA for any and all suggestions

Mo

audrey0522 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 6

I am far from being an expert but there is no way I would leave the cake in the car.

cakegirl1973 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6

I would never leave a cake in a car. Maybe a friend who is not going to the ceremony can bring it to the restaurant for you?

simplysouthern Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 6

OP, if you use the suggested non-perishable filling you could make the cake today, crumb coat it and POP in fridge overnight to let it set. Tomorrow ice cake and add fondant decorations which you can make today too. Just put them in tupperware or wrap in saranwrap to keep from drying too much to form onto cake. As long as the place your working on cake has AC and the car your in has AC, BC will be ok. I'm on FL too and just make sure my car is running and parks in aggression before loading the cake icon_smile.gif

MaurorLess.....I'm not sure where any of the places your traveling are but you're asking for a disaster if you.leave your cake in a car! Maybe the location of the graduation has a place to store it, or someone that lives near the dinner venue can help out??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%