Emergency Question About Ganache

Baking By akahoney Updated 29 May 2011 , 6:31pm by warchild

akahoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akahoney Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 6

I just made a batch of Ganache filling and I am wondering what it is supposed to taste like I used Bakers semi sweet chocolate in it and it is very bitter. Like it has some sort of weird kick to it. I have never had ganache and someone requested it in the cake. I don't know if I messed something up or that is what it is supposed to taste like. Don't want to put it on the cake if it isn't supposed to taste like that. Can someone please help. Debating to go to the store and get different chocolate.

5 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

I always use Baker's chocolate for my standard cakes (and better, more expensive chocolate for my special cakes). I usually use the Bittersweet and end up with a strong, dark chocolate taste. Because the layer isn't very thick on the cake, you don't get one big bite and taste of the ganache. When I pair it with chocolate buttercream, I get raves.

I would think that the semi-sweet chocolate would be less bitter (and more sweet) than my bittersweet??

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 6

I think it should taste fine once its on the cake, i've made dark, semi sweet milk and white choc ganache and they all taste different, i love milk choc ganache, but my family prefers the dark. I actually like it once its on cake because you dont get that strong 'bite' with it. can you taste a bit of it on your cake scraps?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 6

ganache is supposed to taste like a creamer version of the chocolate you use, so if you don't like or can't imagine eating a brick of the chocolate you picked straight out of the package then you need that trip to the store to go get a chocolate you will like. as a personal preference, i'd turn up my nose to the brand you used because i think it is too bitter and burnt tasting. i gravitate towards high quality chocolates like guittard or vahrona for my ganaches for their flavor, but hershey's and ghiradhelli are yummy also.

you can try and save what you made by adding vanilla extract or amaretto liquor.

good luck
jen

akahoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akahoney Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thank You all so much this really helps... I guess I did nothing wrong and don't think I will use that brand again I started to by the giradelli but they only had the bittersweet one and thought it would be too dark of a chocolate.... In the future I will use something different... I really really appreciae your help!!!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 6

I've used bakers semi sweet chocolate, bakers bitter sweet chocolate, and oftentimes mixed the two with no problem. I also add a couple of tablespoons of butter and a blop or two of corn syrup or golden syrup to my ganache, as I (and my many grandchildren) like how it takes the edge off the chocolate.

There's also the overheated of the chocolate to think about. Perhaps you overheated your chocolate? That'll cause it to take on a bitter edge.

Here's a couple links on ganache. The first link, Joy of Cooking, is the ganache recipe I use, minus the liqueur if children will be in attendance. I also add a couple blops of syrup to the recipe for sweetening.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html

This one has good info on making ganache as well as a master recipe.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/ild/2004/0204/ganache.html#axzz1NlVJ0IV1

From serious eats, a recipe plus slideshow on how to make ganache.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/how-to-make-chocolate-ganache-bonbons.html?ref=carousel

From Savory sweet life. Ganache 3 ways.

http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/08/simply-glorious-chocolate-ganache-recipe-3-ways/

There's also a multitude of "how to make ganache" videos on you tube.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%