Damaged Equipment?

Lounge By Elcee Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 2:29am by Elcee

Elcee Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 9

The equipment in question isn't mine, nor is it cake related. Since I know many of you deal with this issue, I'd love to hear your opinions/get your advice.

Here's what happened...we had a catered lunch at work on Saturday after graduation. The drinks were in 2 large ceramic buckets with pouring spouts and covers. They are pretty nice. While we were cleaning up, I chipped one. The chip is very small and on the bottom edge; the tub is most definitely still usable, and I'm not sure if the chip will even be visible when in use. The caterer is coming in on Tuesday to pick up her stuff. I am ABSOLUTELY prepared to pay whatever she wants for the tub.

Here's my question, though. If I pay the replacement value, do I keep the bucket? It never even crossed my mind until I was telling a friend what happened and she said, "make sure if you PAY for it, you KEEP it". I'm not talking about if she says, just give me $10 (for instance) to cover the damage, but if she says it's going to cost $65 (or whatever it cost) to replace it. Should she get a still usable, albeit slightly damaged item PLUS the replacement cost?

Is there any kind of industry standard with situations like this? What would you do if it was a cake stand?

Thanks for your input! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 9

Given that it's still completely useable, if she wants full replacement, then I say that you keep the damaged one.

If she wants a SMALL partial payment to acknowledge the damage and possibly pay for the cosmetic repair, then you pay & move on.

Sort of like the car rental companies--if you damage it, but don't total it, you pay for the damage & a fee for "loss of use" while it's being fixed. If it's totalled, you pay for the whole thing & it goes to the scrap yard.

JMHO
Rae

kakeladi Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 9

With her catering experience this is a ? for IndyDebi icon_smile.gif
I'd love to hear her reply.

Elcee Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks, Rae! Glad to know I won't be out of line if I pay for it and expect to keep it. icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

With her catering experience this is a ? for IndyDebi icon_smile.gif
I'd love to hear her reply.

I could have sworn that I replied to this last night...I must have forgotten to hit submit! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

While I certainly wouldn't discount Indydebi's opinion icon_smile.gif , I think anyone who rents out equipment could weigh in and I'd be interested to hear more opinions. I thought a lot of decorators rent out cake stands and such for a deposit.

So, say you rented out a $100 cake stand and charged a $35 deposit. The bride returns it slightly damaged but still usable and presentable. Do you keep the deposit and chalk it up to normal wear and tear or do you charge her an additional $65 to cover the whole cost? And if you do, then what? Do you keep and use the stand AND the $$ or do you offer her the damaged stand that she just, in essence, bought?

jo_ann Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 9

I charge a deposit for the replacement cost of the equipment. I had a bride and groom bring back some equipment with one plate broken. I got online while they were here and found the replacement charge with shipping cost and deducted that from their deposit and refunded the rest. Of course they didn't keep the broken plate but if they had asked, I would have given it to them.

Elcee Posted 31 May 2011 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone! It turned out to be a moot point...when I told her and pointed out the damage she wouldn't let me pay; she says it's part of the business. thumbs_up.gif

jo_ann, what you say makes sense. What had me wondering was the fact that it was still good and not flat out broken. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:10am
post #8 of 9

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Just as FYI: As a caterer, I would say it depends on how big of a chip and the location. In the back of the item? No biggie. Smack dab in the center in front? While it's "usable" (i.e. doesn't leak), that doesnt' mean I can use it. What bride wants chipped up equipment marring her beautiful table display? If it was bad enough, even tho' just cosmetically, I wouldn't be able to use it and would have to replace it.

My lemonade and tea dispensers were ceramic, so I can totally relate to this issue! icon_biggrin.gif

And I would be happy to allow the person to keep the chipped one if they wanted it. I always feel bad about throwing stuff away that can be used by someone else. thumbs_up.gif

Elcee Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:29am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Just as FYI: As a caterer, I would say it depends on how big of a chip and the location. In the back of the item? No biggie. Smack dab in the center in front? While it's "usable" (i.e. doesn't leak), that doesnt' mean I can use it.

Thanks!

If you envision the spout at 12:00, the chip is at 5:00 and sits against the table. In a way, I'm a little bummed that she didn't charge me for it. It would have looked great in my kitchen! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%