How Can I Make An Ice Chest Cake For 10-12 People???

Decorating By CarolLee Updated 29 May 2011 , 4:46pm by johnson6ofus

CarolLee Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 8

I get this request quite a bit. Up until now I've turned down the orders because I have NO idea how to make an ice chest cake to serve ONLY a small amount of people. All the instructions I can find is to take cake layers and ice and stack them to at least 10 inches tall.

HELP me! I got another call today. And By Golly, I'm gonna DO it this time!

7 replies
CalhounsCakery Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 8

I've been asked about a cake to serve only a small amount of people, but I just tell them that the cake they are asking about serves more than that. As most people know how good my cakes are, they are happy to get the bigger cake, and I've even had them play games to see who gets the leftovers!

Kiddiekakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 8

You just simply state that you have a minimum serving amount for a 3D cake say...20..I have both a minimum serving amount and minimum price on my website.I still get people who want and ask for cakes for 10 people and I simply tell them...I don't make cakes for 10 people...this is the smallest I make take it or leave it..Well I don't tell them that but you get what I mean...they always order anyways!Tell them to freeze the leftovers....

KakeMistress Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 8

first the amount of cake your going to need to make the ice chest is WAY more then for 10 people. If you are charging for this cake then I would charge the full amount to cover your costs plus extra for the time it takes to carve and decorate the cake plus clean up.....good luck. I know I couldnt do a cake like that LOL..

ConfectionsCC Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 8

Tell them that its impossible to do it that small! I have a minimum price on shaped cakes, so go with that, and you will do it as small as possible to keep them from wasting cake but they are probably going to have extra servings anyways! Carved cakes are not for the amount of servings, but for the WOW, if they don't like that idea, tell them you can make a small 6" is a gumpaste ice chest on top? LOL

johnson6ofus Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 8

I think the concept here is the same as the "mini wedding cake" favors people bitch here so much about (the work that is). I am sure many don't do it because they pay $12 for a CUPCAKE size cake (and even then, many baker here say it is not worth it).

A carved cake is a centerpiece--- and WOW is the word. That just doesn't happen with a 10 serving cake. The mini cakes, the word you get is..."Oh, how cute...". Explain that to the customer, and maybe you'll make a big sale!

But I bet many of them want the $3 per serving, 10 serving, $30 cake and think they will get a show stopping cake ("Hey, Walmart sell cakes for $10, so spending $30 is ALOT"). <sigh>

CarolLee Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 8

I DO get SOOOO tired of the "Cake Boss" syndrome!!!!!! They really wear me out. The customer will have a grand idea because of something they caught on TLC and say "it looks pretty easy to do"..... AAAAWWWWW! GREAT then YOU do it!!!!!!

Sorry....... venting a little this morning.

johnson6ofus Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by CarolLee

they caught on TLC and say "it looks pretty easy to do"..... AAAAWWWWW!

And they did it in an hour! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%