The Cake Disaster That Wasn't...vent!

Decorating By cabecakes Updated 30 May 2011 , 12:11pm by PaulaPea

cabecakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:17am
post #1 of 47

How do you respond to this:

1) someone orders a cake at last minute,

2) picks up a day early (thank goodness I just finished it),

3) you only charge them for ingredients (someone I know),

4) calls and tells you cake collapsed and they had to buy another c...ake,

5) you find out that this cake (a wedding cake to boot) was not only NOT collapsed, but also eaten and enjoyed by wedding party.

6) bride cries when she finds out what her friend (the one that ordered the cake) had done and makes cake maker feel like crap.

How should the cake designer respond? Please let me know how you would feel, and how you would respond?

46 replies
JanH Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:02am
post #2 of 47

I don't understand why the bride would make the caker feel like crap (#6) - you provided a cake that was enjoyed by the bridal party....

You and the bride are both victims and have every right to be miffed with the client/friend who ordered the cake and created the "situation."

HTH

platinumlady Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:17am
post #3 of 47

You did your best with a short notice. You didn't deliver the cake so there are many things that could have happened in transit. You didn't know the cake was gonna be picked up early either. It sounds like a lot of things that you just had no control over. I'm not understanding why the bride would be mad at you especially since they brought another cake. So there was some type of cake there on the day of the wedding. It sounds like you and the friend was trying to do something nice & it was not appreciated

AnotherCreation Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:29am
post #4 of 47

I'm confused icon_redface.gif So did the friend of the bride lie about the cake collapsing? If so why would the bride be crying at the caker??? Or is the bride crying b/c the friend had to spend more money on a "last minute" weddng cake??

Candice56 Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:41am
post #5 of 47

What a mean spirited thing this buyer did to you, the buyer that ordered the cake mark my words will call you again to do another cake for herself or another friend she knows your work is good or she would not have ordered from you in the first place. Next time she calls to place another order remind her what she pulled and you will no longer accept her business, this is your business / income and let it be known you did not appreciate her tacky immature behavior it was a crappy thing she did to you besides her "friend" the bride also did not see the humor in it and was embarrassed by this persons poor judgement of behavior.I would think that would get the message to this person.
People like your buyer have no common sense nor do they care if they offend others along the way.

Chonte Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:50am
post #6 of 47

WHY would she lie about the cake collapsing? did she expect a refund or something? and you say you know this person? have you confronted her yet because i would. she would def. be off my list of friends! but why would the bride make you feel like crap.

sweettreat101 Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:57am
post #7 of 47

What I get from the post is a friend of the bride ordered the cake and picked it up. She told the cake decorator that the cake had collapsed and they couldn't use it so they had to buy a new cake when the cake was really fine and served at the reception. Bride finds out that her friend lied to the cake decorator and was upset because the cake decorator was a friend or friend of the family. Am I correct. Sounds like she wanted a freebie and was hoping that you would refund the cost of the ingredients.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 47

I too am thinking 'huh?!'. I don't really get what happened.

amygortoncakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 47

I don't get what happened at all. Would love to know if you want to write out what happened in paragraph style so we don't have to fill in the blanks. icon_biggrin.gif

WykdGud Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 47

I'm confused. You feel bad because the friend duped you, the bride found out about it and cried?

How would I respond in that case? Well, if the person you know that you did the favor for lied and told you it collapsed, I'd call them on it and never accept another order from them. You got the money for the ingredients, right? Write her off and be done with it. As for the bride crying because of what the friend did - that's between the bride and your mutual con-artist... er... friend.

johnson6ofus Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 47

Can we all spell Bridezilla? And whiner? And B----?

No good deed goes unpunished (ingredients only cost icon_confused.gif ?).

warchild Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 47

1) someone orders a cake at last minute,

2) picks up a day early (thank goodness I just finished it),

3) you only charge them for ingredients (someone I know),

4) calls and tells you cake collapsed and they had to buy another c...ake,

5) you find out that this cake (a wedding cake to boot) was not only NOT collapsed, but also eaten and enjoyed by wedding party.

6) bride cries when she finds out what her friend (the one that ordered the cake) had done and makes cake maker feel like crap.

How should the cake designer respond? Please let me know how you would feel, and how you would respond?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not positive what you mean, but I'm reading it as this...

(1) The friend of the bride lied to you about the cake.

(2) You then contacted the bride to tell her you were so sorry her cake collapsed.

(3) The bride tells you the cake did not collapse, that it was eaten and enjoyed.

(4) The bride cries over the fact her friend lied to you about the cake. (who wouldn't be upset at that?)

(5) Now you are wondering how to confront the bride's friend, 'tactfully' about her lying to you.

Right?

If I am right..

I wouldn't hesitate to call the friend. I'd ask her (not in an angry way) why on earth she made up such a story, when she must have known the truth would be relayed back to you eventually.
I'd also add that her fib (lie) about the cake caused un-warranted stress for you, as well as the bride, when she found out her good "friend" fibbed (lied) about her cake.

sweettreat101 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 47

If the bride said the cake was fine then I would tell her that I didn't have time to take a picture of the cake to keep in my album could she send a picture of the cake set up at the party. This way you can see for yourself that the cake was fine and give you some closure. As for the friend as long as the bride was happy who cares about the friend. Just remember if the friend ever asks for a cake in the future you will always be booked.lol

BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 47

If I'm understanding this correctly, I'd merely call the person who ordered the cake (and later lied about it collapsing) and tell them,

"I don't know what you hoped to accomplish by telling me that the cake had collapsed, when it hadn't. Life is stressful enough without you playing games with my head. Let me be clear about this: Don't ever mention the word "cake" to me again. I won't even THINK about baking anything for you." And I'd hang up.

I have no problem thowing garbage in the trash can.

Rae

warchild Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If I'm understanding this correctly, I'd merely call the person who ordered the cake (and later lied about it collapsing) and tell them,

"I don't know what you hoped to accomplish by telling me that the cake had collapsed, when it hadn't. Life is stressful enough without you playing games with my head. Let me be clear about this: Don't ever mention the word "cake" to me again. I won't even THINK about baking anything for you." And I'd hang up.

I have no problem thowing garbage in the trash can.

Rae




My first reply was going to be along the same line as yours, but I changed it because of this being so bizzare.
From what I'm gathering, the person who ordered the cake was a friend of the OP as well as the bride. If that is so, it would mean there's some kind of emotional/mental problem going on with the friend, rather than the friend simply wanting to be a troublemaker. Hence my comment on using tact when confronting the friend.
I could be way out in left field with my thinking though. If its just a spite/I'll show you/lying thing, then yes, do take her to task for it.

BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:54pm
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild


....who ordered the cake was a friend of the OP as well as the bride. If that is so, it would mean there's some kind of emotional/mental problem going on with the friend, rather than the friend simply wanting to be a troublemaker.




Sorry, but in today's world, the word "friend" sometimes doesn't have much meaning. Facebook drama proves that.

I don't assume emotional/mental defect in a case like this. Drunk. Spiteful. Buyer's remorse--even though the cost was only ingredients. Drama queen. Bored. Old grudge. Whatever.

And sometimes, even with emotional/mental defects, you have to be clear, concise, and stand your ground. In my years as a social worker, I never got good results allowing people to use their issues as excuses for poor behavior. You do damage, you pay, no matter what--just like everyone else in life.

Rae

CalhounsCakery Posted 29 May 2011 , 8:08pm
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild


....who ordered the cake was a friend of the OP as well as the bride. If that is so, it would mean there's some kind of emotional/mental problem going on with the friend, rather than the friend simply wanting to be a troublemaker.



Sorry, but in today's world, the word "friend" sometimes doesn't have much meaning. Facebook drama proves that.

I don't assume emotional/mental defect in a case like this. Drunk. Spiteful. Buyer's remorse--even though the cost was only ingredients. Drama queen. Bored. Old grudge. Whatever.

And sometimes, even with emotional/mental defects, you have to be clear, concise, and stand your ground. In my years as a social worker, I never got good results allowing people to use their issues as excuses for poor behavior. You do damage, you pay, no matter what--just like everyone else in life.

Rae




I agree. To much blame gets cast elsewhere. I always teach my kids that you have to own up to your mistakes, no matter what made you make them.

cabecakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:11am
post #18 of 47

No, the bride wasn't upset with me...she was embarrassed by what the person that ordered the cake had done. You see, the person that ordered the cake was trying to scam me out of the money I charged her for the ingredients (she is famous for this type of behavior). I only made the cake in the first place because it was for a member of the family.

I guess I should explain. We will call her Jill for clarifications sake. Jill calls me on Saturday evening and wants to know if I can have her a cake made for Wednesday. I was in the middle of other things and told her absolutely no way. She begs..."Oh it's for ***** and they just decided last minute to have their wedding performed by a justice of the peace next Wednesday."

I tell her that I have so much going on right now...more begging...yeah, I got suckered in. She calls me Tuesday evening and says she is on her way to pick up the cake. I say I thought I was supposed to deliver tomorrow. She says, No, she has to deliver to Newark tomorrow. I tell her she will have to give me an hour, and I am just putting on the final touches.

She comes to pick up the cake and hour later. I told her when she picked it up that she had to drive like she had a car seat strapped to the roof...no fast stops, no quick turns...well you guys know the drill. She like, yeah yeah. She later calls and says, and I quote, "the cake didn't make it, I had to stop at Walmart and just get a $20.00 cake and had them put congratulations on it."

I felt like someone punched me in the stomach. I was devastated. I thought, "Oh no, now this poor girl has to eat a nasty cake from Walmart." And I went through the whole...what could have I done differently.

A while later, the bride was at my niece's wedding and my niece was talking about how I made the cake for her wedding. The bride says..."Oh, you must be the one that made my cake."

After some discussion, I found out that I did indeed make the cake for her wedding and that the cake she was talking about was the very same cake that was supposed to have COLLAPSED. I kid you not, I could have strangled "Jill".

The bride was so embarrassed by what "Jill" had done that she started crying, and I had to console her. She says to me, "If it makes any difference the cake was absolutely beautiful and tasted fantastic." But as you can imagine, this helped only marginally. The worst part is "Jill" was at the same wedding, and I couldn't say anything to her because I didn't want to disrupt my niece's wedding.

cabecakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:19am
post #19 of 47

The worse part of this whole thing is that I don't do this as a business. I only do it as a hobby. I only ask that people who get my cake buy the ingredients, because I couldn't afford to practice this hobby any other way.

And, I sure can't eat all the cake that I make. I would weigh 10 ton. I had most of the ingredients here, so I only charged her for what I had to purchase. My husband gets upset when I take away from our household finances to supply cakes for other people. Which I don't blame him for.

I only charged her $10.00 for this cake. A small 4 tier cake (2, 4, 6, 8 ). It was just a small cake. There was no reason for it to collapse. I just couldn't understand it. My husband says she was trying to get her money and the Walmart cake money back...he'd bet money.

Well her little plan didn't work. She calls me and she better prepared to take a mouthful. I don't imagine that will happen, because I let the whole family know about her little scam. I had to. She was trash talking my cakes...You just don't go there with me. Now the whole family knows about it.

cabecakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:31am
post #20 of 47

I have to "keep the peace in the family". This is the only reason I don't say anything to her, but I would love to. You can bet your bottom dollar she will never see another cake from me, and I don't care how much she begs. She knows that I know about the "con". But I still don't know what she hoped to gain by it.

I guess I just needed a place to vent. If I were to confront her, I would probably end up in jail. She is one of those people that likes to start stuff, but when confronted she has the police on speed-dial. I guess it is like others say on here, "NO MORE CAKE FOR YOU".

Unlimited Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:31am
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

she was trying to get her money and the Walmart cake money back...




If your cake didn't really collapse, why did she buy a Walmart cake?

JanH Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:33am
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

She is one of those people that likes to start stuff, but when confronted she has the police on speed-dial.




Well, when the police showed up - I advise them the she attempted to commit theft by deception; so she'd be the one with legal problems.

And you do have witnesses who can verify her attempted scam.

Candice56 Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:40am
post #23 of 47

And stick to your guns don't do anymore favors for this person.

CalhounsCakery Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:44am
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

she was trying to get her money and the Walmart cake money back...



If your cake didn't really collapse, why did she buy a Walmart cake?




I don't think she did, it seems to me she was just trying to get money for this "imaginary" cake she had to buy. Hence the scam.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:50am
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes


I only charged her $10.00 for this cake.




icon_eek.gif She pulled this stunt for TEN DOLLARS????

Unlimited Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:57am
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

she was trying to get her money and the Walmart cake money back...



If your cake didn't really collapse, why did she buy a Walmart cake?



I don't think she did, it seems to me she was just trying to get money for this "imaginary" cake she had to buy. Hence the scam.




Cabe's husband thinks so.

Chonte Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:59am
post #27 of 47

RIGHT!!! i mean i know times are tough on everyone right now but $10?!?she was trying to scam you for $10 come on. she got the deal of the century!! the nerve of some people!!

warchild Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:04am
post #28 of 47

Wow, I had so many thoughts going through my head over this. That the friend was mentally unbalanced, etc, etc, and it turns out she was just a witch pulling a scam.

You have to wonder how certain people think. All that anguish for you and the bride over 10 bucks? Geez almighty, if it was me confronting that gal, I'd tell her what a disgusting peron she was to do such a thing, and be darn close to decking her!

BlakesCakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:07am
post #29 of 47

If she'd have been successful, she'd have gotten $30...
$10 for the "collapsed cake" and $20 for the "WalMart cake"......

still a lot of drama for a lousy $30 bucks, but I guess there are some "things" you can buy for $30........................ icon_cool.gif

This went down just as I suspected. Keep this memory close to your heart & don't forget: NO CAKE FOR HER----EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rae

cabecakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:09am
post #30 of 47

You would have to know her. She is the scam artist of the century, which is one of the reasons I tried to bail on the cake. But it was for "family". She never really bought another cake, the bride confirmed that. I can only assume she was trying to guilt me into refunding HER money and the money she spent on the supposed Walmart cake. I know, real piece of work, isn't she.

Can you all see why I need to vent so bad. I can't do anything, because it is my husband's family, and I'm supposed to "keep the peace". I would really just like to rip her face off. I shouldn't say that...it's probably not politically correct. I just get tired of "turning the other cheek", and getting slapped from both directions at the same time.

My New Year's Resolution was to maintain a more positive attitude and to deflect anything negative from interfering with mine or my families life. I refuse to let this person own a piece of me by holding on to this, so here I am, I am venting the only way I can to "keep the peace". I will not let it haunt me further.

Thanks to those who have patiently let me deflect this negativity in my life. I just can't believe that there are people that shallow for a measly ten dollars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%