Help With Pricing Asap

Decorating By SugarandSpice3674 Updated 29 May 2011 , 11:13pm by jason_kraft

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:18am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone, I was asked to do a camping theme cake for a friends mom, I am legal and she insists on paying full price. I cant check any pricing around my city to make sure im on target b/c everything is closed tomorrow and the cake is due for thursday. any pricing opinions would be greatly appreciated!

She wants an 8" square cake (which feeds 32 I believe) or an 8" round - she is checking how many she is feeding i was thinking $100 for something like this one (covered in fondant) 8"square
http://www.ratemycakes.com/cakes.php?id=443975879

$85 for this style 8"round
http://www.cakepicturegallery.com/v/birthday-cakes/Green+round+camping+theme+cake+with+pond+and+ducks+and+tent.JPG.html

and $100 for this one, top tier only including the backpack and trees 8" round
http://doodle-cakes.com/2010/10/50th-birthday-camping-cake/

I definitly dont want to undercut any businesses here as I am just getting established myself, an 8 inch round cake covered in fondant (basic decorations and border) averages $50 where i live. Thanks Everyone!

12 replies
carmijok Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:25am
post #2 of 13

If you're covering in fondant AND doing figures, you need to figure those into a per serving cost. I personally wouldn't do a fondant covered cake with custom decor for any less than $4 per serving. She sure couldn't go into a restaurant and buy individual cake servings (undecorated) for any less.

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:54am
post #3 of 13

Thanks for your advise, its nice to know what other cakers charge per serving, i was racking my brains trying to figure this one out, i think i'll go $130 for the 8" square and $100 for the other 8 " rounds, my husband made a good point that it wont be any fun doing cakes anymore unless I really feel that its worth my time icon_smile.gif I guess I just thought it sounded too expensive, but thats so true, you cant go to walmart and get custom cakes, with mff fondant lol

mena2002 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:51am
post #4 of 13

I think 8" has roughly 20 servings not 32, but I could be wrong.

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:59am
post #5 of 13

uh oh, i looked up 8" round and squares, and the serving sizes i found were 8"round 11-16
and 8" square 32 servings (2x2), sure hope i got it right, i already sent the quote with the servings , please let me know if im getting things mixed up lol,.... i'm sure i care more than she does but i want to have average servings i can quote anyhow

mena2002 Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:12am
post #6 of 13

If you're cutting the 8" square cake into 2x2 pieces it would make it 16 servings.

But i guess the servings also depends on how tall the cake is, so if you're making a very tall cake you can get 32 servings out of it.

Sorry if i have confused you.

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 13

thank you! I emailed her and corrected the mistake, i let her know both serving amounts depending on if she cute 1x2 inches and 2x2 inches, I was up late the night before last, and only slept an hour ( was working on an order icon_razz.gif) Thank goodness I'm getting another fridge and 2 freezers today so i can work a little bit ahead from now on,

WhenTalentsCollide Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 13

when i'm figuring servings i go by wilton's chart but use the "party" servings and then multiply by .75 cause i have a hard time thinking people cut cake that size at a party...

error on the side of caution always... better a little too much cake than not enough...

lorenaortegarox Posted 29 May 2011 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 13

the serving size is for a cake 2" thick? i dont get it because it says double layer so im thinking 4" thick. can someone clarify? im just getting started and dont necessarily know how to read this chart! thanks!

CWR41 Posted 29 May 2011 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenaortegarox

the serving size is for a cake 2" thick? i dont get it because it says double layer so im thinking 4" thick. can someone clarify? im just getting started and dont necessarily know how to read this chart! thanks!

Industry standard servings are 8 cubic inches... 2"x2"x2" for sheet cakes or 1"x2"x4" for layer cakes. (if the chart you're reading says 2 layers, and your sheet cake isn't double layered--it serves half of what's shown on the chart.)

If you use any other chart that yields larger than 8 cu. in. servings, you're giving away extra cake for free.

Brevity Posted 29 May 2011 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 13

A hundred dollars for an eight inch cake sounds laughable to me....but I guess the world does sell a lot of bottled water...

jason_kraft Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:13pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevity

A hundred dollars for an eight inch cake sounds laughable to me....but I guess the world does sell a lot of bottled water...

Sounds fair to me if there is a complex design involved. Let's say your ingredient costs for an 8" cake are $10, per-order overhead is $10, commercial kitchen rental is $15/hour, and you pay yourself $10/hour. If it takes 2 hours to bake and decorate the cake, your cost is already at $70. Add a 30% profit margin and you're at $91.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%