New To Poured Fondant

Decorating By SammieB Updated 29 May 2011 , 1:50am by CWR41

SammieB Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 2

For a trial run today, it did alright. I used the following recipe:

2-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup.

Boil to 238F (soft ball), cool to 140F, process in food processor. Microwave to make liquidy enough to pour.

So my first batch was a total waste. I got tied up trying to get my toddler ready for her grandparents to come get her and boiled the sugar to hard crack. Whoops.

Second batch went pretty much as planned. I wasn't sure how much it would yield, but I could easily double the recipe for future batches.

My biggest question is how on earth can you dip cake, frozen or not, and not get crumbs all over the sides? The tutorial I saw said to almost freeze your cake with a thin layer of marzipan on top. Dip all 4 sides in first, then spoon the fondant on top and let it run to the edges. Well, maybe mine was liquid enough, but I separated it half into a measuring cup to pour, half in a shallow bowl to dip. The dipping did not go well and it cooled so fast I could only dip one at a time. The pouring went much better, but it cools so quickly there was definitely a large puddle in the middle, and much thinner towards the sides.

Any suggestions on how to make this more even, or get the sides looking nicer? I hate to cover 20 petit fours completely in fondant or marzipan. I suppose I could crumbcoat, but then I feel like i've got so many flavors going on. Cake, filling, buttercream, fondant or marzipan on top, then the poured fondant... It just seems like so much going on.

I really enjoyed the process though. There's something very relaxing about sugar work. Maybe it's because my mind is so focused on one thing I can block out the stress of 2 kids under 2 needing all my attention. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the help or suggestions!

1 reply
CWR41 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:50am
post #2 of 2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%