First Wedding Cake Question!

Decorating By Anniesmommy Updated 29 May 2011 , 1:37am by CWR41

Anniesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anniesmommy Posted 28 May 2011 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing my first wedding cake for a friend this coming weekend! I'm VERY nervous but I'd like to think I have everything under control! lol Excuse the long post but I've run into a few questions.

The cake will be three tiers, three layers each - 10,8 and 6 inch rounds. The 10 inch will be chocolate with buttercream frosting the 8 inch will be lemon with a raspberry mousse filling and the 6 inch carrot cake with cream cheese filling. I'll also be making a 2 layer half sheet cake to be sure that we have enough for the approximately 100 guests. Which leads me to my first question. If typical wedding cake slices are cut for the three layer cake, I've seen a few different number of servings online. I THINK I can get 80 servings out of the three tiered but I'm not sure. Does this sound right?

The second question relates to my 8 inch cake - lemon chiffon with raspberry mousse. When I practiced the cake a few weeks ago - this tier didn't look too good - like it was bigger on one side than the other. I thought it was because I had for some reason frosted it very unevenly. However, the more I look at the pictures I took of it and the more I read up on this kid of thing - I think it was probably bulging! Most likely from all the air in the cake and mousse?? How do I prevent this from happening?

TIA for all the help!

3 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:15am
post #2 of 4

To prevent the bulging you need to let the cake settle after filling (before frosting all over). I know a lot of people weight the cake with a large ceramic(?) tile to help the settling along.

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:29am
post #3 of 4

I have the same problem with bulging. After you fill do you crumb coat the cake and then let it sit or do you let it sit after the filling? Thanks in advance.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:37am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniesmommy

The cake will be three tiers, three layers each - 10,8 and 6 inch rounds.

I'll also be making a 2 layer half sheet cake to be sure that we have enough for the approximately 100 guests.

I THINK I can get 80 servings out of the three tiered but I'm not sure. Does this sound right?

Your three tier cake (if two 2" tall layers each would serve 74)
is three 2" tall layers each (totaling 6" tall), which wouldn't fit on dessert plates when served. If you're able to use a cake board in the middle at 3" and cut each tier as two tiers that happen to be the same size, the entire cake would serve double--148 servings that are 1" x 2" x 3".

A 2 layer half sheet (12"x18") will serve 108 by itself. Add it to the extra tall tiered cake and you'll have 256 servings--way too much cake for the 100 serving goal. If you cut the tiered cake with 6" tall slices, you'd still have 182 servings. You might want to reconsider the sizes and/or eliminate the half sheets... here's a guide:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%