Need Idea For This Years Fair Cake-Theme 100 Years

Decorating By GenGen Updated 31 May 2011 , 3:12am by GenGen

GenGen Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 3

i've been campaigning for years to help get proper decorated cake rules and regs for our local fair - much as like those i see discussed here. for many years i was entering mostly to draw interest and encourage others to enter as well - but because of low interest and miniscule entry numbers we were thrust in with competing against the baked goods division.. which were eaten- not decorated which the cakes i entered such as this: Image was decorated- NOT eaten.. (theme for that years cake was Proud past Bright future)

and rumors said for years as well that "if you weren't a huckle berry pie, you had no chance of winning"

that i didn't care about.. i cared about having to compete against other items i wasn't in a compete-able division ..

any how.. years ago hubby became a fairboard member and the only perk that gave me was a chance to voice MY thoughts and concerns a little easier then it was before he joined them. he made sure to keep things fair and even said he was not taking sides- my request as well.

so with last years entry- our theme then was "a treasure chest of our county's best"

of course last year- i lost to a some fruit filled thing.. but it didn't go w/o notice.. the whole board noticed the situation and were proud of the cake's representation for our county and took a vote right then and there to create a new division for our decorated cakes, asked me to help them with what would be needed to know for judging decorated cakes in a fair (so if you have input please feel free to add!) and also in their abilities- created a new award- the fairboard choice award- and gave it to me.. unofficially of course lol.. this year will be the Official presentation of that award and it will qualify Anyone in Any division.

so i feel good icon_smile.gif i helped make changes icon_smile.gif

now the hard part! lol

the theme this year is something bout 100 years.. i think its for our county being 100 years old or something.. (sorry been busy week)

i'm hoping i can get some ideas from our crafty artists and members here!

some things to know about our area is its Clearwater county in Northern Idaho. our zip is 83544 if you want to google it and see some pics of our area. very nice. Lewis and CLark camped on the very river bend i live on, twice icon_smile.gif we have logging, water sports, fishing capitol of the NW and so on. our town , Orofino - the name says it all.. was originally founded by gold miners.. we live in a river valley and well gosh.. its just gorgeous.

i would be so proud to create a cake knowing the ideas come forth with in it was helped by people i've been inspired by here for so many years. icon_smile.gif

thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

gail H.

2 replies
Marianna46 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:53am
post #2 of 3

Does the founding of the county have anything to do with prospecting for gold? If so, you could do a mining theme, which would tie in nicely with the town's name. Or you could do a kind of pastiche of things that were going on 100 years ago. Or a side-by-side of how things have changed from then till now. By the way, congrats on the award. And another thing - cake decorating has kind of burgeoned in the last couple of years as a hobby and a profession. Isn't it possible that there would be enough entries for a decorated cake category by now? I, of course, have no idea of how to judge these things - I'm a lot better at running off at the mouth than I am at actually doing things! Best of luck with this, though.

GenGen Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #3 of 3

well we're in a small community though the county is spread out.. we're in northern idaho and yes.. i too thought we'd have more entries but not alot enter.. i KNow of alot of other decorators around- i've taught many of them myself.. i enter my own stuff to help draw interest and encourage others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%