Why Are My Cupcakes Falling?

Baking By JessicakesBakes Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 2:27pm by scp1127

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 10

It happened again today.... I made cookies and cream cupcakes following the recipe on the Gourmet Flavors list on Mascmom's tag...(They are yummy!!! BTW) BUT ----they came out of the oven looking fantastic and perfectly just-slightly domed and within 5 minutes they had fallen. I followed the recipe....they seem cooked all the way...I don't know what I am doing wrong! This happened to me when I last made Paula Deen's Strawberry cake (as cupcakes).

Any advice???

9 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:04am
post #2 of 10

Post the recipe please. This will allow others to see if there is an issue with the proportions.

JessicakesBakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 10

From The Gourmet Flavors at the bottom of Macsmom's signature - there are some great WASC recipes there!

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes (Makes 22-24) - JessDesserts
30 Oreo cookies
1 package (18.25 ounces) plain white cake mix
1-1/3 c water (or a mix of water/vanilla creamer)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

*Count out 12 Oreos and separate the top and bottom wafers. Make sure each has some of the icing on it. Place one wafer, icing side up, in the bottom of each paper liner.
*Place the remaining 18 Oreos between sheets of waxed paper or in a large, closed zipper-lock bag and crush them by rolling over them with a rolling pin. Set these crumbs aside.
*Mix all ingredients except crushed oreos. When batter is thoroughly incorporated, fold in 1 & 1/2 cups crushed Oreos.
* Spoon batter into cupcake liners. Approx 1/3 cup ( I use an ice cream scooper which is super-easy!
*Bake approx. 17-18 minutes. Let cool before frosting. *I replaced the oreos with double stuff MINT oreos and I took a bite and said "thats whoa". I am talking too freaking good to describe.

Quote:
Quote:

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 10

Cucpakes that fall after you take them out of the oven can be the result of under baking. How do you check for doneness? Do they spring back up after you press on them lightly?

What is your oven temp?

I can't help with the recipe, I only bake from scratch because everytime I use a mix I get failure. Go figure.

JessicakesBakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, they seemed done to touch. Toothpick test showed done. Oven at 400, down to 350 when they went in....

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:01am
post #6 of 10

Check your temperature. Nothing gets baked by me without a thermometer. I have had new top of the line ovens become uncalibrated within one batch

sanmarco5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanmarco5 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 10

mine come out of the oven domed, then go flat after a few minutes if i use an all in one cake making method (i.e. everything in the bowl & mix with ekectric mixer for a mninute or so until creamy) if I use same ingredients with a creamed method (creaming butter & sugar then mix in eggs & stir in flour) they peek, and are very domed, but I personally think the all in one method makes a nicer moister cake so am happy with the flat tops which get covered in frosting anyway!

scp1127 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 10

Mine change according to the recipe. I have about 30 recipes for various flavors and they bake differently. I don't really care about the dome so it doesn't matter to me what the final shape turns out to be. My frostings are so completely different too. The cupcakes all look different according to what I want for the end result. My main focus on the cake and the frosting is taste.

JessicakesBakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 10

It's not that they are just flat, they become slightly concave. I think my oven temp I'd a little off. I bought a thermometer and it is a little low. I am going to try again since the adjustment.....

scp1127 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 10

Some of mine do that, but still I think it may be the recipes too. Mine are very moist. I have started doing the trick I learned on here... raise the temp to 400 (375 convect), then drop it 25 degrees when you put them in. I always raise it up again between batches. Some still don't dome, but the little dip in the middle is gone. If your cupcakes are good and cooked all the way, they are ok.

You can hope that LindaF144 will see this and help you out. She can advise you on your leavenings and ratios.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%