Making Boxed Cake Mix Better

Baking By davis65 Updated 29 May 2011 , 1:10am by davis65

davis65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davis65 Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 7

I have always used boxed cake mix, but now that I am going twoards a more professional avenue with my hobby I was wondering:

What do you do to make a box cake mix better for special occassion cakes?

Does anyone have any recipes for different flavors of cakes using box cake mix as your base?

How do you improve a box cake mix so that it stands up better when making a tiered cake?

I love using pillsbury cake mix, and I think it works great on a single tiered cake, but I don't really know how it stands up when doing more than 1 teir, or more than just a double layered cake.

I am sorry if this has already been posted. I have searched all over for ideas about this but can't seem to find any. I would love to know how to make a lot of different flavors using the box cake mix. I have tried homemade cakes before, but I don't have much luck with them. Thank you for all of the help.

6 replies
newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 7

Click on the 'Recipe' tab here on CC. On the right of that page is a list of cake types. Click on 'Cakes from Cake Mix'. There's a boat-load of enhanced recipes there. HTH icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 7

Also, "The Cake Doctor" has several good books with tons of recipes.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 7

Also, "The Cake Doctor" has several good books with tons of recipes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 7

Try my *original* WASC recipeicon_smile.gif It works perfectly with any flavor of mix. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

davis65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davis65 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:10am
post #7 of 7

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! This has been very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%