One Of Those Days!

Decorating By huskerfan Updated 29 May 2011 , 4:33am by Stephy42088

huskerfan Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 11

Ever have one of those days where you just couldn't get a cake frosted right to save yourself? Couldn't get the frosting smooth either? And is it just me that has a hard time with square cakes? And problems with frosting cracking from the ride in the suv. I have never had so many things go wrong at one time! Fixed the cake as best as I could and they said they loved it when we delivered it. But I wasn't the least bit happy with the job I did. Makes me want to give up on making cakes. Ok I am done now! Thanks for letting me vent here........ icon_cry.gif

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 11 many times...I have had days where everything goes wrong..Cake cracks,Icing bulges...Icing glops on the floor...Cheer up..It gets better!!

costumeczar Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 11

I just posted on another thread about this! I had a cake this week that refused to behave, I think the weather was affecting it.

huskerfan Posted 28 May 2011 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 11

How much affect does the humidity have? Love to use that for an excuse. I just hate the feeling you get after you drop off the cake knowing you can do so much better. It was just a bad cake week for me. Though I think I am going to order a dvd to help with my frosting of cakes. Not sure which one to get yet......

costumeczar Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:59am
post #5 of 11

Hahaha! I know for a fact that it affects how my fondant and gumpaste act, so why not buttercream? This was the first week that it was 90+ degrees, and it was the first time this season I've had to argue with the buttercream.

When I delivered the cake today it definitely had that shiny look to it from the temperature change, and that's the first time this year I've seen that!

EdieP Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #6 of 11

I did a wedding today and the cake would not work with me. This week I had a hard time focusing on what I needed to do. When I went to cover the cake in fondant, it kept ripping..2 hours before we were supposed to deliver. I could not pipe and to make it worse..because we did not have time to refrigerate the bottom tier after we finally got it covered the back of the cake sunk..even though we had ample dowels in the cake. I was so unhappy with this cake when we delivered it and I really do not want to email the bride to see how she liked the cake.

costumeczar Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:23am
post #7 of 11

Edie, now that you say that, I just realized that I had to redo a fondanted cake just this evening, It was too soft and it ripped, so I just threw the fondant out and started over. I bet it has something to do with the weather too...

If this is what we have to look forward to this summer, I say bring back Winter!

Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #8 of 11

Yeah I handed a cake out the door today I wasn't at ALL happy with. :-S

I finally did get a dehumidifier which worked really well for my project today. Didn't help for the ugly cake I did yesterday but it helped me alot today.

The car cake is the one I hated...not only could I not get the fondant smooth but I also had to put tons of powdered sugar on it to be able to use the fondant smoother without it sticking to the humid fondant and then that powdered sugar ended up texturing the airbrushing I did on it....and then the bumpers were pulling down on the droopy fondant....wish I had purchased the dehumidifier earlier!

Oh well.

huskerfan Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:53am
post #9 of 11

It was really humid here today but not hot. Its the first time I had my buttercream get air bubbles too! The wedding cake I delivered also had a big sheet cake. I bought that one in first, set it on their counter, went back out to the vehicle to get the wedding cake only to find the buttercream starting the old dreaded slide. And so I had to fix it in the back of my suv because the reception was at the parents house and there were a few people around watching. Only to come in with the cake to find a huge air bubble on the sheet cake. I have never had that happen before. I got home and wanted to cry. Glad the day is over. Does using high ratio shortening make a big difference in buttercream? I am tempted to try it instead of the store brand shortening.

cheatize Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:05am
post #10 of 11

I'm at the same place I was 14 hours ago. I just scraped and I'm getting ready to ice it again. This time I'm using frosting with Crisco instead of hi ratio. I already fixed the 6 inch and it seems to be working. Serious icing sliding going on here in spite of the dehumidifier. icon_sad.gif

Stephy42088 Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:33am
post #11 of 11

One of those days for me too! Basically just a purse cake that I'm not happy with, they wanted zebra print on a purse cake to feed 30 with "big slices" and now I think it looks too bulky and tacky with it being large and having zebra stripes. And i just couldn't get the fondant to work with me! And couldn't find any of the tools I needed right when i needed them! And there's a huge mess everywhere! its been a long couple of weeks, I can't wait until graduation season is over!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%