What Size Cardboard To Use

Decorating By SweetOnYouCakesnCupcakes Updated 31 May 2011 , 4:39am by Chonte

SweetOnYouCakesnCupcakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 6

I'm a beginner cake decorator and one thing I'm still not sure about is which size cardboard circle to use under my cakes (stacked cakes). Ex: When I bake my 6" cake and put it on a 6" circle there isn't any 'extra' room on the sides for icing. So do i just build up my icing and it extends over the side of the cardboard? Sometimes my bigger tiers 'shrink' a bit and it leaves 1/2" between the cake & cardboard so I can add enough icing. I use a bench scraper held level on my turntable and up against the cardboard and scrape it that way. Just wondering how the pro's around here do it.

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 6

That's how I do it..You don't want the cardboards bigger..slightly smaller is better so you are not trying to hide a edge all the time.

Chonte Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 6

thanks for posting this!! i always have a little cardboard "lip" sticking out and it's so frustrating!! usually my borders cover it but sometimes it takes a little extra finessing. lol so if it's a 10'' cake i should use a 8'' circle?

BlakesCakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 6

I prefer a small lip--about 1/4th inch--to use as a guide for my buttercream.

I can then ice the cake and run my bench scraper around it, perpendicular and touching the edge of the board, and get a nice, straight, even coat of BC on the cake. Also, when moving the tier, there's less damage to the edge of my buttercream because I have better support.

I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, put an 10" cake on an 8" board. icon_eek.gif
Every cake I do goes on a board cut to the size of the bottom of the pan. If there's a bit of a lip--hooray!

kakeladi Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 6

Definately what Rae said ^^^^^.

If the cake is to be presented as a single tier then it goes on a board (at least/usually) 2" larger than the cake.
But if that cake is to be used in a multi-tiered creation then use the same size board.

Chonte Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:39am
post #6 of 6

thanks Rae. guess i'll just use an exacto to trim down the board a bit icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%