Airbrush Question

Decorating By Kaddi Updated 28 May 2011 , 10:01pm by Kiddiekakes

Kaddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaddi Posted 28 May 2011 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 7

How do you get the high gloss look to airbrushed fondant? Is there some kind of clear glaze that you can spray over it to give it that shine?

6 replies
gingerpup84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerpup84 Posted 28 May 2011 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 7

Haven't tried it yet, but there is an Amerimist pearl sheen. I have some but haven't tried it yet. Supposed to be transluscent. Might be trying it on a cake today so I will let you know if it works!!

Kaddi Posted 28 May 2011 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 7

Oh great! If you use it, will you let me know if it's shiny/glossy and not shimmery/sparkly? I really need something that will provide a shiny/glossy finish...like glass.

TheOtherCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheOtherCakeLady Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 7

I'm wondering if you could use the crisco method to get that high gloss. Just rub a tiny amount on with a paper towel. I've used crisco successfuly on colored fondant. I don't think it would work if you have multiple colors airbrushed on, or want the color to go from dark to light.

Maybe you could steam it. I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else says.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 7

There is no high gloss product for the airbrush to get your cakes glossy..You can either steam them like Buddy does...or spray with everclear or alcohol but when it dries it goes back to being matte.There is a product out there that professionals use sold at kitchen and retseraunt supply companies called Spray Lacquer which is used to give the high gloss and preserve foods for show.It is expensive though at about $35.00 a can.

Pearl sheen will not give you high gloss but pearl...

Crisco will actually cause the fondant to bead if there is too much on there and the color won't stick to the fondant unless the crisco is wiped off really good..Lustre dust will glob in that spot no matter what if you have used crisco to smoothen the fondant..

Ask me how I know..... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Kaddi Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 7

I actually found something that I'm going to try. It's an edible clear cake glaze spray called PME clear edible glaze. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 7

Ahh...PME finally put out something like that also..Great..That will work....cheaper too probably!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%