Bettercreme, Frostin Pride, Pastry Pride?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 3:07am by sweetespy

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 28 May 2011 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 24

I usually use a whip cream mousse filling but need something that doesn't require refrigeration for a large cake next weekend. The lady wants my usual mousse but I was wondering if anyone has used non dairy whipped icing instead of whipping cream to make a mousse? I usually use one pint whipping cream and one small box of instant pudding? Do you think it would work?

23 replies
moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 24

I always make my moussees with Bettercreme and I love them, no refrigeration needed. Theere is a thread on Bettercreme somewhere on the site.

I use

2 cups Bettercreme
1 small package instant pudding (any flavor you want)
1/2 cup liquid (juice, milk, or sugar free flavored coffee syrups)

sweettreat101 Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 24

Wouldn't the milk require refrigeration?

sweettreat101 Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 24

Sorry forgot to ask you if you throw everything in the mixer and whip it up?

moranda Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:04am
post #5 of 24

With all the sugar in teh bettercreme the milk is preserved, but if you are al all concerned use one of the other liquid choices.

I put them all in my KA mixer with the whisk attachment and let er rip. It takes several minutes but watch closey as it gets to the end becuase one second it is perfect and the next second you have butter.

sweettreat101 Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:46am
post #6 of 24

Thank you.

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 24

I have been wonder what bettercreme was! Now I know! icon_smile.gif

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 24

What is the difference between Bettercreme and Frostin' Pride? My Smart n Final has Pastry Pride, vanilla Frostin' Pride, and only carries chocolate Bettercreme.

sweettreat101 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 24

Pastry Pride is like Cool Whip it's a whipped topping not a frosting I don't use it myself. I use the Frostin Pride which is a non dairy whipped frosting. I almost bought the pastry price yesterday at my local cake store because they gave me the wrong product. Luckily I noticed whipped topping on the label because that would have been a nightmare to fill my cakes with. I have never tried Bettercreme as I can't find it here but I've heard it's the same as Frostin Pride. Frostin Pride also takes colors better than Bettercreme.

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 24

Thank you! I have used Pastry Pride, but when I want a "whipped cream" that can't stay out of the fridge for awhile.

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:06am
post #11 of 24

Does Bettercreme need to be refrigerated? Is it something that comes premade or do you have to mix it with something?

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:31am
post #12 of 24

Is there a difference in the Rich's "Ready to Whip" Whip topping and the non-dairy Whip Topping Base?

My supplier carries the Topping Base.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:44am
post #13 of 24

Just thought I'd pop in and throw down the link to the Bettercreme document on Google. You can use any brand in place of the Bettercreme, but it all turns out basically the same! Cheers! thumbs_up.gif

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARCzpgSS_N4TZGdqcXNqamNfNGdtc3E5c2Ro&hl=en_US

sweetespy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetespy Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:09am
post #14 of 24

moranda, sorry for asking, I am new on this but what kind of buttercream do you use for on your recipe?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:22am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranda

With all the sugar in teh bettercreme the milk is preserved, but if you are al all concerned use one of the other liquid choices.

FYI, there's NO sugar in Bettercreme (at least not the liquid vanilla)...

Bettercreme Ingredients: High fructose corn syrup, water, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains less than 2% of the following: Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative), soy protein concentrate, polysorbate 60, carbohydrate gum, sugar, salt, artificial flavor, soy lecithin, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, to preserve freshness (potassium sorbate), xanthan gum.

Rich's Bettercreme:

http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

There's no question that the Bettercreme is shelf stable for approximately 5 days at room temperature.

Sugar is a preservative, but it must be used in sufficient amounts to control the water activity in any liquids present. The choice of liquid isn't really the big issue, it's the water content in the liquid.

However, I'm not sure that there's sufficient sugar in the pudding mix to control the water activity in the 1/2 cup of additional liquid being added.

Sugar does act as a preservative in American buttercreams, because the quantity of sugar is great and the amount of liquid is very small. But the mere presence of any amount of sugar in a recipe which contains liquid ingredients doesn't automatically mean the end product is shelf stable.

HTH

moranda Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 24

sweetespy

I think you misread, I was talking about Bettercreme not Buttercream. Bettercreme is the liquid product you whip, I know I was confused the first hundred or so times I saw people posting about this product.

BTW Where in CA are you?

floursifter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floursifter Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #17 of 24

Happy Memorial Day to our US friends.

Thanks to all for trying to sort out this issue. I think I am clearer on things now.

I live in Ontario,Canada. Does anyone know where I can buy Bettercreme?

sweetespy Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:33am
post #18 of 24

moranda. To your question I live in the City of Downey, CA. I get confuse there are so many Buttercreams (e.i. Swiss Buttercream, Italian BC, the only one that I used and know is the Wilton Buttercream thats way I ask what kind of buttercream you use in your recipe listed below.

what is Bettercreme?

2 cups Buttercream

Melvira Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:36pm
post #19 of 24

Bettercreme is a whipped icing.
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARCzpgSS_N4TZGdqcXNqamNfNGdtc3E5c2Ro&hl=en_US

There are tons of details on the document above.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:10pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetespy

moranda. To your question I live in the City of Downey, CA. I get confuse there are so many Buttercreams (e.i. Swiss Buttercream, Italian BC, the only one that I used and know is the Wilton Buttercream thats way I ask what kind of buttercream you use in your recipe listed below.

what is Bettercreme?

2 cups Buttercream

Quote:

I always make my moussees with Bettercreme and I love them, no refrigeration needed. Theere is a thread on Bettercreme somewhere on the site.

I use

2 cups Bettercreme

sweetepsy, you have miscopied moranda's recipe.

Buttercream IS NOT Rich's Bettercreme and the two aren't automatically interchangeable.

Rich's Bettercreme:

http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

HTH

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

FYI, there's NO sugar in Bettercreme (at least not the liquid vanilla)...

Bettercreme Ingredients: High fructose corn syrup, water, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains less than 2% of the following: Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative), soy protein concentrate, polysorbate 60, carbohydrate gum, sugar, salt, artificial flavor, soy lecithin, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, to preserve freshness (potassium sorbate), xanthan gum.

Rich's Bettercreme:
HTH

Even if it does not have sugar as an ingredient, the main ingredient is HFCS and that also acts as a preservative. So maybe it's enough HFCS in the bettercreme to keep the milk safe?

sweetespy Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:13am
post #22 of 24

Thank you all for the clarification. I was confused never noticed (buttercream and Bettercreme) I have always used wilton's buttercream recipe and I really want to use something different, not to sweet.

Melvira Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:33am
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetespy

Thank you all for the clarification. I was confused never noticed (buttercream and Bettercreme) I have always used wilton's buttercream recipe and I really want to use something different, not to sweet.

Then I think you will really like the whipped icing, no matter which brand you choose (or can find)!! It is really light, less sweet to my palate. I find that people really tend to love it when the weather is warm as it does not feel as heavy as the Wiltonesque buttercream. (Don't get me wrong... I love my powdered sugar based icing. Num nums!)

sweetespy Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #24 of 24

Thank youicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%