Phoenix Area - Fresh Flowers For Cakes

Decorating By Wing-Ding Updated 29 May 2011 , 1:03am by Wing-Ding

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 28 May 2011 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I received my very first request to do a wedding cake and she says she wants fresh flowers surrounding each tier of her 3 tier cake. Roses. (I did try the sugar flower option, but she said absolutely not.) Then she told me she was going to buy them from Costco to use on the cake. I told her that I don't think I can do that because of pesticides and such. She is pretty insistent that it'll be ok because (and I "love" this line) she sees it on the internet all the time. I tried to let her know that those flowers aren't going to be from a place like Costco or 1-800-flowers.

I want to be able to show her the costs of putting fresh flowers specifically designed for cakes on her wedding cake. Does anyone know a florist in the Phoenix area who grows these or has access to them? I don't even know where to start..... well, that's not true. I'm on here, aren't I?

Thank you in advance for your input..... any input. I may not answer right away. I'm taking my mom out for breakfast. icon_smile.gif[/i]

4 replies
Wing-Ding Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 5

Ok.... am I wrong about the flowers? No one is answering. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 5

no..you are not wrong..Some flowers are fine on cakes I'm just not sure which ones.You can put fresh flowers on a cake as long as they aren't touching the cake...like on wax paper or in a shallow bowl etc...you shouldn't just stab the stems into the cake like your customer thinks she has seen on TV ...which she probably has but I wouldn't do it...There are also flower picks out that you can push into a cake and put the stem inside of the plastic stem ..something like you get on the end of roses sometimes to keep them fresh.Wilton makes them...

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 5

you can try looking at florists who work directly with bakeries to supply their flowers. they would know what can go on the cake and how to put them on. HTH

Wing-Ding Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:03am
post #5 of 5

Thank you very much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%