Entering First Cake Competition!

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 5:30am by Lindsram

katies_cakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 8

hi everyone! im super excited to be entering into my first ever cake competition in november this year at ICHF cake show international.
im only entering into the novice class as its my first time.
the class is "winter wonderland" i have a few ideas, and one that i have fallen in love with. i dont want to post my ideas online though through fear of them being stolen before i enter the show. lol

i was wondering if anyone that has entered cake competions/shows before could give me any advice/tips to help me, i dont want to mess this up and im ever so nervous!!

TIA
katie

7 replies
peetz Posted 28 May 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 8

Have never entered a cake in a contest, but have entered other things. ( art mainly) and I agree with your " don't tell your ideas" part, very smart.
I hope to enter my first cake in the county fair this year, but that is small beans compared to a real cake competition. Just go to compete, go to grow as a caker, go first for the experience of going. The rest is just icing on the cake. lol (sorry could not help myself.)
Good luck, break a leg, or what ever they say in the cake world.

dorothymarie Posted 28 May 2011 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 8

I've never been in a cake contest but I have been in the Pillsbury Bakeoff. My advice is take lots of pictures. And be prepared for the cameras and interviews. I didn't know what to say when they asked questions. I was like "duh". Somewhat overwhelmed by it all. Some people were really good in front of the camera. I tried to hide. Wear lots of makeup! LOL

amygortoncakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 8

In March I entered...and won, at the San Diego Cake Show. I was also in the Novice category. The one thing I was suprised with was that everyone seriously put a lot of thought into their cake boards. I don't know if you will see this, but there were a ton of cake boards that looked like pillows or something. Not sure how to describe it. Also, when the judges came around they had magnifying glasses and really looked at each element on the cake. I won, and I there were a lot of cakes that could have won, but since the judges can look at a cake and determine what techniques were used I ultimately took the prize because I hand made each shingle, leaf etc. Its my UP cake. So I would say put tons of time and detail into your piece. There were several beautiful cakes in my division that were airbrushed but didn't even place because I think the judges knew that you could ulitmately do that in several hours.

Good luck, its so fun. The best part being able to hang back and listen to people talk about your cake without them knowing it was you who had made it.

Elcee Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 8

Hi, katies_cakes, I love entering cake decorating competitions. I'm with you, I never post anything about my entries before hand. Probably paranoid, but you never know. I wish there were more competitions closer to me so i could do more. Since I don't sell, it's my creative outlet. If possible, research pictures of past winners to see the knd of work the judges like.

Check out this thread, it's full of great info...http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603734-competition.html+hints.

I blog about my experiences in competitions if you want to check that out at http://beautifullyembellishedcakes.blogspot.com/.

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Katie_Jane Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 8

Hi, I'm thinking of entering this competition. Have you got any details? I know every cake is graded separately rather than against each other but when is it done and when does your cake have to be dropped off and picked up. On the website all i can find in the categories but no info icon_sad.gif
x

melonball Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:38am
post #7 of 8

I'm thinking of entering the exact same competition!
Never entered any before but it's only the price of the entry!!!
Good luck

Lindsram Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:30am
post #8 of 8

I just entered my first competition last year and I won first place in my division icon_biggrin.gif My advice would be to start as soon as possible!!!!!!! I unfortunately had a lot going on the week of my competition and I got waaaaayyyyy behind! I pulled a few all nighters. In hinds sight I should have done my flowers like 6 months in advance..lol. It still turned out amazing but I now see where I could've made some improvements if I had more time. And check out this blog about a cakers experience in competitions. http://beautifullyembellishedcakes.blogspot.com/ GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%