Painting On Black Cake Help

Decorating By beeluvspink Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 5:41am by beeluvspink

beeluvspink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beeluvspink Posted 28 May 2011 , 7:29am
post #1 of 9

Okay, so I have someone who asked me to make a black computer mouse cake (no problem). Well there is a blue design on the mouse, can I just paint it onto the black fondant? I'm stuck on the best way to do this. I'll attach a photo of the cake she wants.

8 replies
rubycurls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubycurls Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:48am
post #2 of 9

Hi there. I can't see your pic yet but wanted to reply as i recently had to paint on very dark navy fondant. In my case it was on the car you can see in my photos. Depending on want medium you use it is difficult to get a painted colour onto black especially blue. I used a gel paste and to get it to show up I thinned it with a teeny splash of vodka and some White pearl lustre dust. Painting the blue straight on top did not work. You need to add a base lighter to make the colour completely opaque before it goes onto the black. Maybe someone else can also give you some tips on this too. Good luck icon_smile.gif

ineedahol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ineedahol Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:49am
post #3 of 9

I totally agree with rubycurls, my navy race car cake had a lot of painting on it. I used powder colours with a touch of the same (ish) colour paste thinned with vodka, and added some sugarflair superwhite powder to make it opaque. Worked quite well but without the superwhite it didnt show up at all. good luck!

beeluvspink Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:29am
post #4 of 9

It's not letting me post the dang picture (of course). Thanks for your replies. I'm actually out of the superwhite and where I live I have to order ALL of my supplies and it wouldn't get here in time. :/ This cake just might kill me lol.

rubycurls Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 9:37am
post #5 of 9

Have you got any pearl dust? That will work too.

beeluvspink Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:31am
post #6 of 9

I have some silver dust, but that's it. I'm moving in a few months so I have a pretty depleted cake supply stock (my things will be in transit for at least 2 months).

rubycurls Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 9

I would try the silver but test it before you paint on your cake. Good luck

beeluvspink Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

beeluvspink Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:41am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for your help. I didn't end up painting on the cake. I just cut the design out of fondant. The photo is the Razer mouse cake in my gallery and the customer loved it. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%