Humidity Help. Seriously, It's Giving Me Headaches.

Decorating By SammieB Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 4:33pm by 2txmedics

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 28 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #1 of 3

It's been extremely wet and humid here in TN for the past few weeks. And sure enough, my last 3 cakes have most definitely suffered for it. The cakes themselves have held up just fine, but my fillings and buttercream have been a real pain the you know what.

I've tried 3 different buttercream recipes (one all-shortening that I was not in love with), and all 3 of them crusted, but then started to look greasy and bleed some. I only make my cakes a day in advance, so it's not like they are sitting around for days and days.

Two of my fillings were almost runny instead of nice and fluffy the way they usually are. Oreo and twinkie filling and they were just liquidy. The recipe also includes butter, shortening, and of course sugar.

So, aside from a dehumidifier, what can I do to help with this? Add more sugar? Less shortening or butter? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2 replies
cindycraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Posted 28 May 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 3

I'm in Arkansas and have had the same issues with crusting frostings. The best advice I've gotten is to crank up the A/C (which didbn't help much). I had hoped for ways to tweak my recipes to make them behave better in the high humidity...but got no such suggestions. I'll be watching this thread in hopes of help for us southern belles. Good luck!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 3

Ive used Indys recipe, its crust really good, can bump the cake and and hardly no dent in it....and when cut it taste so good, I get request for it all the time and keeps cake moist and bc is also soft once cut....I live in HOT/HUMID TEXAS....

recently I used Sharon Zambitos as the party was outside under a tent, and its non persihable...it kept!!!! in heat of 93!! Indys also keeps in high heat but it has milk products.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%