Cake Shaped Like A Beer Can

Decorating By eatmyart Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 7:49pm by TexasSugar

eatmyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatmyart Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:59am
post #1 of 8

I'm new to cake decorating and I have a request for a cake shaped like a beer can. I'm not sure how to cut the cake into the shape of a can. Can someone please help.

7 replies
gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 28 May 2011 , 3:09am
post #2 of 8

Bake several of the same size round cake and stack them. No need for any carving, but if you use more than 3 layers, you need to put a cake board between the top 2 layers and the bottom 2, and put dowel rods in the bottom 2. Once you ice the cake, nobody can tell how many layers there are. You can also, once the cake is assembled, cut a small piece off from top to bottom and lay the beer can cake on its side if you like. PM me if I've not explain3ed this well.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 8

gramof5 said it perfectly..use rounds cakes and go from there.

eatmyart Posted 28 May 2011 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you very much! Was thinking of doing the rectangle shaped pans and then carving them but this will work great. Thanks again!

eatmyart Posted 28 May 2011 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 8

I have another question. How much should I charge for a cake like this? It takes almost $30 for the supplies.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 8

I did this cake, thanks to yoyo3(?) here on CC. I worked 4 days on it!

It was(from the top down) a 8" fondant disk detailed to look like the can top, dried, and painted silver; a 8" round, 4" high filled and layered cake, 8" cake board; a 8" round, 4" high filled and layered cake, 8" cake board; a 8" round, 4" high filled and layered cake, 8" cake board; and 3" high, 8" round rice krispy treat for the base; a fondant covered board (in my case, in the shape of Texas). So I had 3 full size 8" rounds plus the rice krispies. What is that ? 90-130 servings?

I am lousy at posting pictures, but the bride uses it as her main photo here, if you have facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NEFARIOUSNESS Yes, here it Texas, the Bud Light can looks just like that with a Texas star on it. icon_smile.gif

1. Scale and size are important- mine was 18" high, with 8" round cakes. Don't make it "short and fat".
2. Know how to stack cakes!
3. Use a center support- mine had a steel rod in the middle that was screwed into the cake board for stability.
4. I had real problem with "elephant skin" wrinkling on my 18" tall piece of fondant. I am no pro...

Again, I am no pro--- just hobby baker but your photos showed your first fondant cake. Was that recently? Can you handle a fondant piece that is 20" by 50" to wrap the cake, or can you smooth buttercream so nicely that you want to work with that?

You can also do a "laying down" 1/2 beer can that would be easier, small, cheaper, less technical.

Good luck!
thumbs_up.gif

eatmyart Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks Johnson6ofus! Your cake is beautiful! I think I'd better stick to the cake that is lying down for now because I haven't made a stacked cake yet. But I look forward to making one soon.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmyart

I have another question. How much should I charge for a cake like this? It takes almost $30 for the supplies.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%