Painting Mmf No Airbrush?

Decorating By Lovin_Cakes30 Updated 27 May 2011 , 6:28pm by Periperi

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 6

I really want to try painting my mmf instead of mixing the color in...just for something different. I don't have an airbrush... is that going to look funny and streaked? Someday ill get the airbrush icon_smile.gif it would just be great to make a big batch of mmf all at once rather than making tiny batches of different accent colors. It would save so much time! Plus I could make a bunch when ps and mm are on sale!

So what do you think? Will it still look nice or will it look messy and amateur without an airbrush? Thanks everyone!

5 replies
Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 6

I painted my 1st mmf cake a couple weeks ago. I used gel color and thinned it down w/ clean vanilla extract. You can see how it turned out in my photos. It was the electric guitar cake. I painted the head of the guitar black and painted the woodgrain neck. I was very pleased w/ the results. Hope that helps!!

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 6

oh wow that looks great... So no airbrush and it turned out like that? wow! This is exactly what I was looking for, a real example! Thank you! Did you start out with it at all tinted or did you just start from pure white? Thanks again!

Periperi Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you! I painted on white MMF. I did two coats of the black to get it completed covered. The woodgrain was a few layers of different colors. I found that it also left the fondant w/ a slight sheen. Once the alcohol in the vanilla evaporates it leaves the fondant quite tasty. I will definitely be using this technique again. It was soo easy and very inexpensive. Best of luck to you! BTW, I see we are practically neighbors! I live in Post Falls, ID. =)

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 6

Wow we are close =) I swear the cities almost melt into eachother now! haha. I am super excited to try the painting thing. Thanks for the advice. We will have to stay in touch since we are so close and cakes in this area are probably in the same price range. Does Idaho have a cottage food law? WA is getting one in August! yay.

Periperi Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 6

Unfortuantely Idaho doesn't have a cottage food law, I'm soo sad! In the mean time I'm just making cakes for friends and family. They get cakes instead of me buying them a gift. Sometimes they'll buy my ingredients and materials so it's no cost to me. At this point I'm "self teaching" myself the art of cake decorating w/ hopes of someday either getting licensed or working in a high end cake shop. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%