Customer Wants 1 Dz Jumbo Cupcakes In Multiple Flavors! How?

Baking By jhamburger Updated 28 May 2011 , 10:57pm by BlakesCakes

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 16

Help! I have a specialty order next week for 1 dozen jumbo cupcakes but the customer wants multiple flavors! She is a "purist" and wants 2 that are white cake and plain buttercream. The others can be a different flavor, different frosting/decoration, etc.

How do I take a white cake batter and change up the flavor with out messing up the cake itself? I mean, I know I could throw in some chocolate chips to change a couple or whatever, but can I literally make white batter into something else? (How do I know the measurements of the ingredients to make a change to batter?)

I am under pressure here because this is a customer who is very specific as to what she wants but I am not going to use three separate full recipes to fullfill this $40 order.

Help!

Julie

15 replies
cakification Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 16

You could just divide up the white cake batter and add some flavour oils. Or add some lemon zest/lemon juice to one part, and add a combo of cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg/cardamom for a chai spice flavour to another part. Something like that anyways.

I definitely wouldnt make 4 differed batters for one dozen cupcakes.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 16

I wouldn't have even taken the order. My minimum is 24 cupcakes..
12 of each flavor or all the same. Decorations can be different.

sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 16

Do you have a kitchen scale? I have taken a regular cake mix and split in 1/2 with no problem but I do it by weight and I add 2 eggs to each 1/2 of the mix. Regular mix calls for 3 eggs but my extender recipe calls for 4 eggs so this is no problem.

So here are the 4 flavors I think I can easily get out of a white cake mix.

Split cake mix or dry ingredients in to two different batches.

Batch A:
Make per normal directions and mix. After mixed split mixed batter in 1/2. Keep on 1/2 of this this batter as white cake. As mentioned above add lemon zest and a little lemon juice to the cake batter to make a light lemon cake. Frost with lemon frosting to highlight the lemon flavor:

Batch B:
Substitute champagne for the water and split this in 1/2
Tint pink and call it pink champagne cake.

To the second 1/2 of this batch , add a small amount of orange zest and orange juice and this is mimosa cake.

All 4 flavors are from the same base. They are all lightly flavored and can be frosted and decorated according to flavor.

cakification Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 16

Sillywabbitz, thats a great suggestion. Great recipe combos.

sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks cakification,

I figured this out when I was tired of making 24 cupcakes everytime I wanted to try out a new cake flavoricon_smile.gif So I've gotten more creative. You can obviousely try and 1/4 and 1/2 the entire recipe but I found if I could just sub out the liquid and add a little extra flavor here and there it worked well.

HappyCake10609 Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 16

I have also 1/4 a box mix. I don't have a kitchen scale, but I measure the contents of 1 box of the Duncan Hines white cake mix. It came to 4 cups. I also use an extender recipe that calls for 4 eggs and 1 C Flour and 1 C Sugar to a full box, so I was easily able to divide everything by 4!

I made Chai cupcakes with the white cake mix, I subbed the liquid for Chai latte mix (it's a liquid in a box found in the tea aisle at the grocery store) and added a mixture of the spices mentioned above and it was really yumm!

I also turned the white cake mix into a really yummy vanilla by adding vanilla and vanilla bean paste...

The citrus suggestions sound fantastic too!

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Do you have a kitchen scale? I have taken a regular cake mix and split in 1/2 with no problem but I do it by weight and I add 2 eggs to each 1/2 of the mix. Regular mix calls for 3 eggs but my extender recipe calls for 4 eggs so this is no problem.

So here are the 4 flavors I think I can easily get out of a white cake mix.

Split cake mix or dry ingredients in to two different batches.

Batch A:
Make per normal directions and mix. After mixed split mixed batter in 1/2. Keep on 1/2 of this this batter as white cake. As mentioned above add lemon zest and a little lemon juice to the cake batter to make a light lemon cake. Frost with lemon frosting to highlight the lemon flavor:

Batch B:
Substitute champagne for the water and split this in 1/2
Tint pink and call it pink champagne cake.

To the second 1/2 of this batch , add a small amount of orange zest and orange juice and this is mimosa cake.

All 4 flavors are from the same base. They are all lightly flavored and can be frosted and decorated according to flavor.

Sillywabbitz:

This is amazing information. Just what I was looking for! Thank you for this information and I will go for it! Still looking for more ideas if you or any other readers have any! This will certainly be a challenge but it may very well be a skill that I can use again in the future!

Julie

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 16

I am wondering how long I can refrigerate cake batter if anyone knows. My crazy 1 dozen cupcake order is due Wed but I am doing a strawberry cheesecake cupcake order for Monday. If I could refrigerate some of that batter for a couple of days, I could make a couple of those cupcakes for my crazy Wed order. Anyone know about that?

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 16

I also have a minmum of 24 cupcakes and one flavor only unless they are ordering like 100 and then I will allow 4 flavors..I use cake mixes also but I am not opeining up a mix for 2 cupcakes...JMO

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 16

@kiddiekkakes

I generally have the same 'rules'...IDK why I broke them this time! I guess because it was a favor to a friend. I do mostly jumbo cupcakes (the double size, muffin ones) and one recipe generally makes 12 of those or 24 standard cupcakes. That is usually how I determine my minimum requirements. But, in this case I am up-charging the customer for the customization and heck, I figured $40 is $40! lol

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 16

@kiddiekkakes

I generally have the same 'rules'...IDK why I broke them this time! I guess because it was a favor to a friend. I do mostly jumbo cupcakes (the double size, muffin ones) and one recipe generally makes 12 of those or 24 standard cupcakes. That is usually how I determine my minimum requirements. But, in this case I am up-charging the customer for the customization and heck, I figured $40 is $40! lol

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 16

Hey jhamburger....where did you get your jumbo muffin pan and what size liners do you use??

pmarks0 Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hey jhamburger....where did you get your jumbo muffin pan and what size liners do you use??

Golda's Kitchen carries a jumbo muffin pan by Fat Daddios
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=9329&step=4

They also have ones by Chicago Metallic
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=548&step=4

and Wilton
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2610&step=4

and they carry a parchment jumbo liner as well.

Flour Confectins carries a jumbo greaseproof liner. The even have them in a large pack for about 570 liners for $35 which is a really good price considering the price for 100.

http://www.flourconfections.ca/shop/brown-jumbo-size-greaseproof-cupcake-liner-p-2966.html

I checked Cake Mischief as well, but they don't have jumbo liners.
Did you see that they have Nicholas Lodge coming for a 2-day class June 6 & 7?

jhamburger Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:51am
post #15 of 16

@kiddiekakes I have purchased all of my jumbo muffin pans at Hobby Lobby and Michaels using their 40% off coupons. They are heavy weight and nice quality...and believe me, I have put them through the paces. Both stores also sell the jumbo liners. I suspect most craft/hobby stores sell something that will work. I like making cupcakes because they are much less fussy and unpredictable and the pans have never been an issue.

BlakesCakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamburger

I am wondering how long I can refrigerate cake batter if anyone knows. My crazy 1 dozen cupcake order is due Wed but I am doing a strawberry cheesecake cupcake order for Monday. If I could refrigerate some of that batter for a couple of days, I could make a couple of those cupcakes for my crazy Wed order. Anyone know about that?

You can freeze your batter and defrost it in the fridge the night before you need it.
I let it come to room temp, scoop it in & go.

Sometimes, the cupcakes seem a bit stickier on the top, but the texture & flavor are the same--and the top gets the icing, anyway.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%