Customer Wants 1 Dz Jumbo Cupcakes In Multiple Flavors! How?

Baking By jhamburger Updated 28 May 2011 , 10:57pm by BlakesCakes

jhamburger  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 16

Help! I have a specialty order next week for 1 dozen jumbo cupcakes but the customer wants multiple flavors! She is a "purist" and wants 2 that are white cake and plain buttercream. The others can be a different flavor, different frosting/decoration, etc.

How do I take a white cake batter and change up the flavor with out messing up the cake itself? I mean, I know I could throw in some chocolate chips to change a couple or whatever, but can I literally make white batter into something else? (How do I know the measurements of the ingredients to make a change to batter?)

I am under pressure here because this is a customer who is very specific as to what she wants but I am not going to use three separate full recipes to fullfill this $40 order.

Help!

Julie

15 replies
 cakification  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 16

You could just divide up the white cake batter and add some flavour oils. Or add some lemon zest/lemon juice to one part, and add a combo of cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg/cardamom for a chai spice flavour to another part. Something like that anyways.

I definitely wouldnt make 4 differed batters for one dozen cupcakes.

mplaidgirl2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 16

I wouldn't have even taken the order. My minimum is 24 cupcakes..
12 of each flavor or all the same. Decorations can be different.

sillywabbitz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 16

Do you have a kitchen scale? I have taken a regular cake mix and split in 1/2 with no problem but I do it by weight and I add 2 eggs to each 1/2 of the mix. Regular mix calls for 3 eggs but my extender recipe calls for 4 eggs so this is no problem.

So here are the 4 flavors I think I can easily get out of a white cake mix.

Split cake mix or dry ingredients in to two different batches.

Batch A:
Make per normal directions and mix. After mixed split mixed batter in 1/2. Keep on 1/2 of this this batter as white cake. As mentioned above add lemon zest and a little lemon juice to the cake batter to make a light lemon cake. Frost with lemon frosting to highlight the lemon flavor:

Batch B:
Substitute champagne for the water and split this in 1/2
Tint pink and call it pink champagne cake.

To the second 1/2 of this batch , add a small amount of orange zest and orange juice and this is mimosa cake.

All 4 flavors are from the same base. They are all lightly flavored and can be frosted and decorated according to flavor.

cakification  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 16

Sillywabbitz, thats a great suggestion. Great recipe combos.

sillywabbitz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks cakification,

I figured this out when I was tired of making 24 cupcakes everytime I wanted to try out a new cake flavoricon_smile.gif So I've gotten more creative. You can obviousely try and 1/4 and 1/2 the entire recipe but I found if I could just sub out the liquid and add a little extra flavor here and there it worked well.

HappyCake10609  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 16

I have also 1/4 a box mix. I don't have a kitchen scale, but I measure the contents of 1 box of the Duncan Hines white cake mix. It came to 4 cups. I also use an extender recipe that calls for 4 eggs and 1 C Flour and 1 C Sugar to a full box, so I was easily able to divide everything by 4!

I made Chai cupcakes with the white cake mix, I subbed the liquid for Chai latte mix (it's a liquid in a box found in the tea aisle at the grocery store) and added a mixture of the spices mentioned above and it was really yumm!

I also turned the white cake mix into a really yummy vanilla by adding vanilla and vanilla bean paste...

The citrus suggestions sound fantastic too!

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Do you have a kitchen scale? I have taken a regular cake mix and split in 1/2 with no problem but I do it by weight and I add 2 eggs to each 1/2 of the mix. Regular mix calls for 3 eggs but my extender recipe calls for 4 eggs so this is no problem.

So here are the 4 flavors I think I can easily get out of a white cake mix.

Split cake mix or dry ingredients in to two different batches.

Batch A:
Make per normal directions and mix. After mixed split mixed batter in 1/2. Keep on 1/2 of this this batter as white cake. As mentioned above add lemon zest and a little lemon juice to the cake batter to make a light lemon cake. Frost with lemon frosting to highlight the lemon flavor:

Batch B:
Substitute champagne for the water and split this in 1/2
Tint pink and call it pink champagne cake.

To the second 1/2 of this batch , add a small amount of orange zest and orange juice and this is mimosa cake.

All 4 flavors are from the same base. They are all lightly flavored and can be frosted and decorated according to flavor.

Sillywabbitz:

This is amazing information. Just what I was looking for! Thank you for this information and I will go for it! Still looking for more ideas if you or any other readers have any! This will certainly be a challenge but it may very well be a skill that I can use again in the future!

Julie

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 16

I am wondering how long I can refrigerate cake batter if anyone knows. My crazy 1 dozen cupcake order is due Wed but I am doing a strawberry cheesecake cupcake order for Monday. If I could refrigerate some of that batter for a couple of days, I could make a couple of those cupcakes for my crazy Wed order. Anyone know about that?

Kiddiekakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 16

I also have a minmum of 24 cupcakes and one flavor only unless they are ordering like 100 and then I will allow 4 flavors..I use cake mixes also but I am not opeining up a mix for 2 cupcakes...JMO

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 16

@kiddiekkakes

I generally have the same 'rules'...IDK why I broke them this time! I guess because it was a favor to a friend. I do mostly jumbo cupcakes (the double size, muffin ones) and one recipe generally makes 12 of those or 24 standard cupcakes. That is usually how I determine my minimum requirements. But, in this case I am up-charging the customer for the customization and heck, I figured $40 is $40! lol

jhamburger Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 16

@kiddiekkakes

I generally have the same 'rules'...IDK why I broke them this time! I guess because it was a favor to a friend. I do mostly jumbo cupcakes (the double size, muffin ones) and one recipe generally makes 12 of those or 24 standard cupcakes. That is usually how I determine my minimum requirements. But, in this case I am up-charging the customer for the customization and heck, I figured $40 is $40! lol

Kiddiekakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 16

Hey jhamburger....where did you get your jumbo muffin pan and what size liners do you use??

pmarks0  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hey jhamburger....where did you get your jumbo muffin pan and what size liners do you use??

Golda's Kitchen carries a jumbo muffin pan by Fat Daddios
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=9329&step=4

They also have ones by Chicago Metallic
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=548&step=4

and Wilton
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2610&step=4

and they carry a parchment jumbo liner as well.

Flour Confectins carries a jumbo greaseproof liner. The even have them in a large pack for about 570 liners for $35 which is a really good price considering the price for 100.

http://www.flourconfections.ca/shop/brown-jumbo-size-greaseproof-cupcake-liner-p-2966.html

I checked Cake Mischief as well, but they don't have jumbo liners.
Did you see that they have Nicholas Lodge coming for a 2-day class June 6 & 7?

jhamburger Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:51am
post #15 of 16

@kiddiekakes I have purchased all of my jumbo muffin pans at Hobby Lobby and Michaels using their 40% off coupons. They are heavy weight and nice quality...and believe me, I have put them through the paces. Both stores also sell the jumbo liners. I suspect most craft/hobby stores sell something that will work. I like making cupcakes because they are much less fussy and unpredictable and the pans have never been an issue.

BlakesCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamburger

I am wondering how long I can refrigerate cake batter if anyone knows. My crazy 1 dozen cupcake order is due Wed but I am doing a strawberry cheesecake cupcake order for Monday. If I could refrigerate some of that batter for a couple of days, I could make a couple of those cupcakes for my crazy Wed order. Anyone know about that?

You can freeze your batter and defrost it in the fridge the night before you need it.
I let it come to room temp, scoop it in & go.

Sometimes, the cupcakes seem a bit stickier on the top, but the texture & flavor are the same--and the top gets the icing, anyway.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%