Who's In Kansas?

Decorating By n_jean Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 7:57pm by elizacake

n_jean Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 15

I would love to get KS to pass a Cottage food law... Is there anyone else from KS where we could get together and try to get one passed? I know that this would help a lot of you out there!! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
bethreed Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 15

I am - would love to see this happen in KS!!!

Aurora_333 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 15

I also would love to see this happen. No idea how to get the ball rolling though, but I am willing to assist in anyway. Just let me know.

cbiscuit85 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:36am
post #4 of 15

I would love this too. Because I can't find anywhere to rent a kitchen and can't afford to lease one and start a legal business, I can't sell my cakes. I make plenty for family and friends as gifts, but other guests I don't know very well get upset when I tell them I can't make them a cake because I can't be paid for it legally.

platinumlady Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbiscuit85

I would love this too. Because I can't find anywhere to rent a kitchen and can't afford to lease one and start a legal business, I can't sell my cakes. I make plenty for family and friends as gifts, but other guests I don't know very well get upset when I tell them I can't make them a cake because I can't be paid for it legally.

What part of Kansas are you in? I know a couple of places...it just depends what area you're in....I'm in Kansas as well

platinumlady Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:54am
post #6 of 15

Did you all know that depending on what county your in ... you can legally bake from home. There are a couple of guidelines...but it is still perfectly legal. I just didn't do it because I live in an apartment

cbiscuit85 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:20am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

Did you all know that depending on what county your in ... you can legally bake from home. There are a couple of guidelines...but it is still perfectly legal. I just didn't do it because I live in an apartment

I don't think it's legal in Johnson County, unless you have a completely separate kitchen in your home that meets regulations.

platinumlady Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:55am
post #8 of 15

cbiscuit85...that's what I meant by guidelines...couldn't think of the word regulations at the time.

I live in Johnson County & rent a commercial kitchen

n_jean Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 15

oh I'm glad you guys have replyed!!! We need to figure out how to get something going to make it leagal!! I'm sure you Johnson County bakers are correct, I doubt its leagal unless you have a commercial kitchen. I'm in Nemaha County and I'm sure it would be easy to get the county to okay it. How about the other bakers who replyed... where are you guys at?

n_jean Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:19am
post #10 of 15

Alright ladies (or gents) I have found some information on how to start this thing. This site has some great info on it that I am going to work on forming to fit Kansas and our broke A$$ needs as a state. icon_smile.gif
http://homebasedbaking.com/uncategorized/starting-a-cottage-food-law-movement/
It may take me a little while to work on it but after I have done this I will post it on here and see what you guys think. If we need changes to it that would be great. Maybe if in the meantime one of you could start a facebook page and pass it to any other hobbiest bakers you know. You could just post the link on here and I'll add it and pass it on too. If you did that while I work on it, it would be a great help. I really want to get the ball rolling on this!! I want to bake leagally!!!
Anyway, keep your eye open on this post for when I am done so we dont have to wait for years!!!! thumbs_up.gif Thanks guys!
Natalie

ajwonka Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 15

I'll help in any way and know several home bakers. Just let me know what to do!

AlphaD Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 15

Natalie,

I am new to this forum and sent you a PM before I saw this post. Please include me and I am happy to help. Lets get this ball rolling! icon_smile.gif

ashleyandben Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 15

I am in Kansas as well. Just let me know what I could do.

All4Show Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 15

Count me in. I'm in Western Kansas!!

elizacake Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 15

I've looked this up before and KS has a cotage law. I made several calls to the State and my City. You can sell from your home as long as it's non-perishible. You still have to check with your city. Where I'm at, bakeries/catering are not an approved home based business. Now...the zoning commissioner told me as long as I followed the rules of home based businesses for my town, I'd be ok...but if someone complained, they'd have to shut me down. That being said...I don't want to risk it, so I only do gifts for friends and family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%