Fonderific Nightmare!

Decorating By Haute_Mama Updated 29 May 2011 , 7:41am by scp1127

Haute_Mama Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 24

This is just a disaster. I bought a tub of red fonderific hoping it would not only taste better, but be easier to work with using just a little powdered sugar like the outside of the bucket says. No freaking way, it sticks to the mat, I have to flip it, use generous amounts of powdered sugar, and most of the time when I get it to the desired size for my cake, the moment I pick it up it tears EVERYWHERE. I'm not rolling it thin either. I tried rolling it thick but it still stretches and tears somewhere.

I know someone somewhere has to have used this stuff successfully because why would it be selling so well at my local cake decorating store?

Anyone want to take a stab at what I'm doing wrong?

23 replies
lyndim Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 24

I had the same problem! I got so frustrated and was in a time pinch so I ran to "Jo Ann's" and bought some Wilton fondant and it really worked great, it was easy to roll and no sticking! I really need to start making my own.
Oh,I noticed your from Las Cruces, My brother and his family all live there. Small world!

inspiredbymom Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 24

We have had the same problem with Satin Ice. We use cornstarch to roll it out. To cover cakes I use Jennifer Dontz's chocolate fondant recipe. It has worked the best for me and it tastes great. We use the other commercial (red/black) fondants for small work. On modeling, we use Wilton because it holds up but it doesn't taste as good. We use Jennifer's chocolate pearl clay for molding the pearls. Hope this helps.

Haute_Mama Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 24

I'm about to cry. It's so frustrating. I paid so much for this stuff. What a waste. I'll have to go out to Jo-ann's too. icon_sad.gif
I haven't heard of Jennifer dontz before. I'll have to check out that recipe.

@Lyndim: Wow, it is a small world! I've lived here all my life. I love it!

cheatize Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 24

You can add some gum-tex, tylose, or powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit. You could also mix it with another fondant or try letting it sit for a bit between rolling and putting it on the cake so that it dries a little.

GGFan Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 24

I mix mine with Satin ice fondant and it works better.

BlakesCakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

You can add some gum-tex, tylose, or powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit. You could also mix it with another fondant or try letting it sit for a bit between rolling and putting it on the cake so that it dries a little.




Actually, these things don't work well to improve Fondarific/Duff's Fondant because the fondant is about 34% fat based. It doesn't respond much at all to tylose and PS makes it softer. It doesn't stiffen up when sitting either--I've had it stay pliable on a cake board for a week.

I roll it on shortening and it works very well. If push comes to shove, I suggest buying some Wilton fondant, adding some color to it, and kneading the 2 together. The Fondarific will hold it's color well, so it may be a bit lighter, but not too much.

HTH
Rae

sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 24

I'm with Blakes Cakes, mix in some stronger fondant like Wilton or Satin Ice to give it some body. You shouldn't have to chuck the entire bucket.

Inspired by mom, do you use the Pettinice with JenniferDontz's white chocolate fondant recipe or another brand. I have her DVD and love it but I havent' taken the time to mix up a batch of the fondant yet. I have access to Satin Ice, FondX and Fondarrific but our cake supply doesn't sell Pettinice. Just curious what base you use.

BlakesCakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 24

Jennifer's recipe works very well with Wilton fondant. It can make FondX and Satin Ice a bit too soft.

Rae

inspiredbymom Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 24

I use Pettinice. However, I have to order in EVERYTHING except Wilton. I like the taste of Pettinice better than Wilton and Satin Ice. If you add the Merkens, it taste fantastic! I have had people try the other fondants and changed their mind to my buttercream. Now, when I use fondant I have had so many great compliments from it. I don't think I will go back. She did tell me that when I need to use black, to buy a commercial grade fondant (I used Satin Ice) and mix the chocolate fondant in with it. It make the satin ice easier to work with and it tastes much better. I can't say enough good things about Jennifer Dontz and what she has taught me through her DVD's, her newsletter, website and direct contact. I also have to say I have learned a lot from Sharon Zambito's DVD's and blog. I have also learned a ton from CC. Love it!

Haute_Mama Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 24

After freaking out because Jo-ann's didn't have buckts of red fondant, I called the store I bought this stuff from and they said that if it's dry it will stretch and break and that I need to use just a little bit of shortening. I'll give it a try, but I'm so frustrated I had to take a break.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 24

I'm betting it's the temperature more than the lack of humidity.

It's modeling chocolate based isn't it? When that stuff (modeling chocolate that is) is warm... forget it! It gets almost grainy and sloppy and impossible to handle. If you can turn up your AC you might have more luck.

I avoid brands that have a ton of fat in them because they can be picky to work with.

Haute_Mama Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

I'm betting it's the temperature more than the lack of humidity.

It's modeling chocolate based isn't it? When that stuff (modeling chocolate that is) is warm... forget it! It gets almost grainy and sloppy and impossible to handle. If you can turn up your AC you might have more luck.

I avoid brands that have a ton of fat in them because they can be picky to work with.



I do live in the desert, and it's a pretty hot day...Oh and I tried shortening, and that lady at the cake decorating shop just didn't know what she was talking about. It made it more stretchy. Duh. lol

I'll turn up my A/c a bit more and see what happens. Do you think I could freeze or put it in the fridge for a bit???

Jenniferkay Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 24

Red fondariffic is a nightmare and really any of their others. I tried rolling it with Mat from Sweetwise and it was awful. I had to really powder my granite keep it cool and roll it thick b/c of the stretch. I now only use it mixed with Wilton. I didn't like it mixed with SI. Next time I'm going to stick with my red SI. I've had it too where anything I made with Fondariffic still soft a week later and it was in the winter....

So sorry this is happening to you! GL!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 24

I wouldn't chill it because then you might get condensation and it'll be a nightmare x's 2.

Turn up the AC and keep it in the coolest place in your house for a while... like a couple of hours... and see what happens.

For the record, Fondariffic is supposed to not harden up like other fondants do... it's a trademark of the product.

Haute_Mama Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:51am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

I wouldn't chill it because then you might get condensation and it'll be a nightmare x's 2.

Turn up the AC and keep it in the coolest place in your house for a while... like a couple of hours... and see what happens.

For the record, Fondariffic is supposed to not harden up like other fondants do... it's a trademark of the product.




Ok, cooling definitely worked out. I didn't have the time to wait for my A/C to do it's magic so I kinda took a chance with the freezer. I also chilled my rolling pin and it did just the trick, I guess. I'm posting the finished product to my pics in a few minutes. I'm quite pleased. icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for your comment. If you hadn't suggested that heat was the problem I'm not certain what I would have done. THANKS!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:26am
post #17 of 24

It's likely really dry in the desert (very much unlike here right now where the air is so wet you can drink it) so you woudl be safer than I would be chilling it. Here it would have been a puddle after coming out... LOL. One of the perks of desert living... that and the sankes... heheheheh.

I'm so happy it worked for you and I'm glad to have been able to help. The cake came out cute too!

KTB4 Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:30am
post #18 of 24

yup mix it with SAtin ICe and it's perfect!!!!

labmom Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:04am
post #19 of 24

Ok now I a scared of the fondarific products... I have been using satain Ice for years and I thought wow this sounds good on the description try it.

I am so glad that I only have to make stripes out of the colors that i purchased (for the flavors) and the dark colors. I am glad that the cakes are going to be for family.

I think if people continue to have problems with these products that complaints should be made to the company not the local cake shops. Products are so expensive that they should be as described and worth the money. Not a waste of money.

Your cake is so cute.. I am glad that it worked out for you.

Had I read these things before placing my order with global sugar arts I think I would have not gone that route.

BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:19am
post #20 of 24

Honestly, it's just a matter of knowing your product.

Fondarific/Duff's fondant starts out hard because it's more like a candy melt based product. It's great for some things, not so great for others (not for figures or flowers because gums don't stiffen it up because of all of the fats)--there's nothing "wrong" with it. You just have to know how to adapt your procedures to work with it.

It comes out of the container hard. You nuke it for a very few seconds--maybe 10 at most-- at a time on 30% power.
You knead it just until it can be rolled out easily. Knead it too long/much & the oils separate and it's a mess. You CAN put it in the fridge to firm up again and just start over.

I roll it on a smear of shortening on vinyl. I pick it up on my rolling pin. It doesn't tear, but if it's pretty warm in the room, it can be stretchy. Beauty is, you can work it for quite awhile--no elephant skin. Dent it by accident--just smooth it out again--for hours, maybe even a day.

Mixed with a stiffer fondant, like Wilton, it's about as ideal as you can get.

If you don't like it, don't use it, but it doesn't really merit a complaint to anyone. Sad news is that many cake shops carry items that they don't understand how to use properly.

Rae

Haute_Mama Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:09am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Honestly, it's just a matter of knowing your product.

Fondarific/Duff's fondant starts out hard because it's more like a candy melt based product. It's great for some things, not so great for others (not for figures or flowers because gums don't stiffen it up because of all of the fats)--there's nothing "wrong" with it. You just have to know how to adapt your procedures to work with it.

It comes out of the container hard. You nuke it for a very few seconds--maybe 10 at most-- at a time on 30% power.
You knead it just until it can be rolled out easily. Knead it too long/much & the oils separate and it's a mess. You CAN put it in the fridge to firm up again and just start over.

I roll it on a smear of shortening on vinyl. I pick it up on my rolling pin. It doesn't tear, but if it's pretty warm in the room, it can be stretchy. Beauty is, you can work it for quite awhile--no elephant skin. Dent it by accident--just smooth it out again--for hours, maybe even a day.

Mixed with a stiffer fondant, like Wilton, it's about as ideal as you can get.

If you don't like it, don't use it, but it doesn't really merit a complaint to anyone. Sad news is that many cake shops carry items that they don't understand how to use properly.

Rae




That was my main problem. I didn't know my product, and neither did my cake shop. I did however let them know that their information was totally wrong and explained what worked for me. I don't think the lady I spoke to had ever worked with Fondarific, I think she just kinda assumed that was the problem since that's what usually happens with Wilton and MMF products.

I like Fondarific, I'm not trying to say it's a bad product, there just needs to be more material out there on how to use it properly for those of us who are still new to cake decorating. Now that I know how to use it correctly, I would recommend it! It was easy to work with; very very forgiving. My friend said the cake was absolutely delicious and everyone actually ate the fondant. I'd say mission accomplished icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute_Mama

I like Fondarific, I'm not trying to say it's a bad product, there just needs to be more material out there on how to use it properly for those of us who are still new to cake decorating. Now that I know how to use it correctly, I would recommend it! It was easy to work with; very very forgiving. My friend said the cake was absolutely delicious and everyone actually ate the fondant. I'd say mission accomplished icon_biggrin.gif




Great News! And, yes, mission accomplished!

My response was really for labmom.

It was clear to me that you were trying to get the right info to make the product work for you.

Glad to hear about the success.

Rae

Angfastic Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:25am
post #23 of 24

I saw this instructional video earlier today. They were using Satin Ice but it may help with any fondant. The instructor used shortening instead of power sugar.


scp1127 Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:41am
post #24 of 24

I am still relatively new to fondant... only about a year. I tried every kind and Fondarific ended up being the one I liked the most. Now I use it exclusively. I think you do need to get used to working with it. It tastes good and works well. People actually eat it. It smells great when you open the box and when you get close. I hope you try it again and get better results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%