I'm Making My First Fondant Cake With Mmf

Decorating By thetruekris Updated 27 May 2011 , 3:38pm by SarahL4683

thetruekris Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making my first fondant cake with MMF but my bottom two layers keep crumbling to pieces and my MM fondant just didn't look right after taking it out of the fridge. It was all dry and looked like i kneaded too much. Now Idk what to do. I'm in tears, afraid that it won't come out right at all. It has to be presented in front of 200 people in 38 hours and now I have to re-bake the cakes and re-make the fondant. It's for a baby shower and I REALLY want it to look great.

Please help!

3 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 4

thetruekris, all I can give you is this.

Please read carefully and try to see where you went wrong with the MMF. You might have put too much of the sugar on it. It's not a specific measurement really about the sugar, you have to see where you stop adding it.

And remember you have to let it come to room temperature from the fridge before using it.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

imagenthatnj Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 4

thetruekris, I just thought of something else.

I clicked on your post just because. It doesn't say anywhere you need urgent help. Maybe you should change the title of your post (you still can, I think) to something like "Please help with MMF" so that people come help you.

Otherwise, people might not click because they'll think you're just making a cake...and saying it.

SarahL4683 Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 4

When I make mmf, I make it the night before and let it sit out in room temp, double wrapped in saran wrap with a healthy coat of shortening on the fondant. If it's a little tough to work with, i zap it in the microwave for maybe 5-10 seconds, depending on how much I'm working with. Did you try adding a bit of shortening to your mmf to "revive" it. or even a few drops of glycerine... You can also add a few drops of water at a time, but it gets sticky when you're working it back in.

I can't help too much with your cake issue, are you trying a new recipe or is this one you've used before?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%