Dumb Question Alert!! Cutting Odd Shaped Cakes

Decorating By Cohaja12 Updated 27 May 2011 , 2:22pm by Cohaja12

Cohaja12 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 5

How in the world do you cut, say, a helmet cake....gracefully and professionally?

Thanks, Missy

4 replies
indydebi Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 5

Just like you would a regular round or square cake. thumbs_up.gif

If it's a 3-layer cake with boards between layer 2 and 3, then just cut 2x2x2 squares until you get to teh board. Then cut the remaining two layers like a wedding cake.

When I've had an odd shaped cake, i've cut pieces from the edges until I've shaped it into a square or rectangle .... then it's easy peasy.

See my link in my signature for how to cut (any shape) cakes.

BCo Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 5

I always dread this question from customers...my reaction is to want to say, "Yea, good luck with that!" lol I have one going out today that is a tall tower and it has a pvc center support screwed into a plywood base and a lot of doweling and extra cakeboards for support. I always think about how un-pretty (is that a word? Didn't want to say UGLY! LOL) the cake must look when they start to disassemble and cut it up. I know that's going to be the question when my customer picks it up today and I've been thinking all morning what to tell her. Maybe I should make a sketch of where all the supports are, that's easier then trying to explain and expecting her to remember.

Good idea Deb to cut the odd shape until it's a square and then cut normally! Duh! should have thought of that!

Emmar308 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 5

Question from customer "How do i cut this cake?"
My answer "With a knife"
Job done...............he he he

Cohaja12 Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmar308

Question from customer "How do i cut this cake?"
My answer "With a knife"
Job done...............he he he

thumbs_up.gif

How about a 7 inch tall domed cake?

I have a feeling it's not going to matter anyway and they'll just cut it in wedges like a pie....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%