Dumb Question Alert!! Cutting Odd Shaped Cakes

Decorating By Cohaja12 Updated 27 May 2011 , 2:22pm by Cohaja12

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 5

How in the world do you cut, say, a helmet cake....gracefully and professionally?

Thanks, Missy

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 5

Just like you would a regular round or square cake. thumbs_up.gif

If it's a 3-layer cake with boards between layer 2 and 3, then just cut 2x2x2 squares until you get to teh board. Then cut the remaining two layers like a wedding cake.

When I've had an odd shaped cake, i've cut pieces from the edges until I've shaped it into a square or rectangle .... then it's easy peasy.

See my link in my signature for how to cut (any shape) cakes.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 5

I always dread this question from customers...my reaction is to want to say, "Yea, good luck with that!" lol I have one going out today that is a tall tower and it has a pvc center support screwed into a plywood base and a lot of doweling and extra cakeboards for support. I always think about how un-pretty (is that a word? Didn't want to say UGLY! LOL) the cake must look when they start to disassemble and cut it up. I know that's going to be the question when my customer picks it up today and I've been thinking all morning what to tell her. Maybe I should make a sketch of where all the supports are, that's easier then trying to explain and expecting her to remember.

Good idea Deb to cut the odd shape until it's a square and then cut normally! Duh! should have thought of that!

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 5

Question from customer "How do i cut this cake?"
My answer "With a knife"
Job done...............he he he

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmar308

Question from customer "How do i cut this cake?"
My answer "With a knife"
Job done...............he he he

thumbs_up.gif

How about a 7 inch tall domed cake?

I have a feeling it's not going to matter anyway and they'll just cut it in wedges like a pie....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%