Buttermilk Alternative?

Baking By khewston Updated 27 May 2011 , 1:57pm by adonisthegreek1

khewston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khewston Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:33am
post #1 of 7

I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk. The only buttermilk I can find in the store is lowfat. Anyone have a suggestions I what I can use. The recipe is for cupcakes.
Thanks,
Kathy

6 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:51am
post #2 of 7

You can get a similar result by putting a tablespoon of lemon juice in a cup of milk. Let it sit. It will thicken.

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:55am
post #3 of 7

I use powered buttermilk. It keeps in the ice box for a long time. I find it with the spices, cake mixes, flour and sugar isle. It works really well. I have found I like it better than the real buttermilk for flavor.

Bri122005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bri122005 Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:56am
post #4 of 7

Like the previous post said, lemon juice works best, but if you don't have any, you can use vinegar as well.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khewston

I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk. The only buttermilk I can find in the store is lowfat. Anyone have a suggestions I what I can use. The recipe is for cupcakes.
Thanks,
Kathy

Low fat buttermilk is fine...in fact, most of what you will find in the store is low fat....whole fat butter milk is not very common these days. You can also mix 1/4 cup sour cream into 3/4 up milk and let it sit about 10 minutes and you will have a fine substitute.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7

I buy the powdered buttermilk at Wal Mart and keep it in the fridge after I open the can. I think Wal Mart has it the cheapest and it is well worth buying. I actually like this better than souring milk but, that is just my opinion. Good luck
evelyn

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 7

Put 1 tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice in cup then fill cup to 1 cup line with milk. Let sit for 5 minutes, then use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%