Getting Started In Florida...

Business By cole10 Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 1:11am by SugarBakerz

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:55am
post #1 of 9

Ok. I have been doing cakes for a little over a year. I would like to do them more often for people other than family and friends. I would like to maybe go into the cake business one day, but I am currently a teacher in Florida. Whether I do or not, I feel like I need to cover my rear for any mishaps. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to? I know the Cottage Food bill is currently in progress, other than that I know NOTHING about what to do to be "legal" and "safe". Thanks for any help and information.

8 replies
lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:37am
post #2 of 9

hello fellow Floridian
in Florida you have to use a licensed kitchen separate from your living space
i rent kitchen time from a local catering company.
it took me 1 1/2 years to find a place that would let me rent their place. i rent out space from a caterer, i pay $50 per personal use. they also use me for all their deserts and i charge them a discounted rate.
you have to get your own licensing and permits for your own business, if you were an employee you would be covered under theirs.
i do not have a written agreement per say, i have emails back and forth with them. they are a nice couple and everything is working out well for me and them. I would suggest a written contract though. I have free use of their kitchen, equipment and tasting/meeting room (they do not charge me to meet with clients only for kitchen use)

here is what you will need to be a legal baking business in Florida:
1. food managers class and cert $150
2. find a kitchen, i use catering companies kitchen $50 per use
3. get a tax id number and file your business corp papers, we used a cpa to do this $250
4. get the kitchen inspected by the department of agriculture for you food license, inspection is free but the license cost me $175 per year for limited sales under $15,000 (price goes up depending on sales)
5. get an occupational license from your city zoning board/department, you will need to have the place you are using fire inspected and sometimes building inspected. they then give you the paper work to get your local city tax info $50
6. liability insurance $550
7. file your business with sunbiz.org every year $150

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 9

I believe I sent you the link in another post. When the Cottage Food Bill gets signed by the Governor it will take effect July 1st. You will still have to get an occupational license but you don't have go through what lacie did. I am no expert on the Cottage Food Bill so you will need to look into it for yourself, I do know it makes it SO much easier for home bakers... but there are still rules you will have to follow. If you have any trouble finding the info just send me a personal message and I can try and help!

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both so much! Until I decide to do cakes full time, I'd like to try and find an agreement/ consent form to do cakes for clients other than families. Just to be safe.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 9

I am also in Florida and this is great info!! icon_wink.gif

TinkerCakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:51am
post #6 of 9

Cole10, just remember, even with a agreement/consent form, if you take any payment for a cake... it is against the law. That's why my cake pops and cakes have just been for friends and family (I'm really not that good yet anyway!) BUT I know I would get caught, that would be my luck! Here in FL we are lucky that this law is about to pass!!!! YAY! There are plenty of states that do not have it, I feel for them.

Good luck to my Florida neighbors!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 9

is florida passing a cottage law? any other threads about it? i am moving there in July and would love to get more information. Been off of CC for a while.

TinkerCakes Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:12am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

is florida passing a cottage law? any other threads about it? i am moving there in July and would love to get more information. Been off of CC for a while.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=712309&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=florida&&start=0

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:11am
post #9 of 9

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%