How Do I Make A Tree?

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 28 May 2011 , 4:40pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:37am
post #1 of 9

I'd like to do a couple of stand-up trees for a child's cake. I have attached a tree that I found on CakeWrecks (it was a Sunday sweet).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Annie

8 replies
sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:15am
post #2 of 9

No link attached but - I did a tree made out of a dowel, twisted wire around it for the branches and then used modeling chocolate on it. It's in my gallery on the 3 tiered Halloween cake if you want to see it. One word of advice - make sure your dowel is long enough to go through your cake so it is anchored properly. I didn't think ahead to do that and had a problem with the weight of it leaning back. HTH

sugarandstuff Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:16am
post #3 of 9
AnnieCahill Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 9

Dang I attached it this morning. Not sure what happened. I'll post the link:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2011/05/sunday-sweets-for-mom.html

Ok, scroll down to the cake that says Welcome Payton.

Thanks again!

vgereis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgereis Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 9

Oh wow... that tree on cakewrecks looks incredible!! So does yours sugarandstuff! Would love to know how those are made too! Think I need to figure out how to work with modeling chocolate! heeh! But I suppose that's a whole other thread! hehe!! Sorry i can't help but that just looked so great and would love to follow this thread for more tips!

Good luck!

Vicky

AnnieCahill Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 9

Ok which kind of wire should I use? I already have some florist's wire at home-do you think that would be sufficient? How can you add texture to the tree trunk?

sugarandstuff Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 9

I used a heavier gauge wire, I think it was some type of electrical wire - you could probably just twist the florist wire together until you get a sturdy base. That tree on Cake Wrecks is really cool - looks so real. You can use the clay modeling tools to make the lines and impressions.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Dang I attached it this morning. Not sure what happened.

The attachment to post software hasn't worked for some time (so it didn't disappear - the attachment was never there). icon_sad.gif

HTH

AnnieCahill Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for your replies. I didn't receive notification so I didn't know you replied. I might try to make one this weekend if I have any leftover fondant.

Thanks again,
Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%