Can I Put Second Layer Of Fondant On Cake

Decorating By patjobes Updated 27 May 2011 , 10:19pm by bakescupcakes

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:36am
post #1 of 5

hi have just covered a cake with fondant although it is nearly smooth i dont feel it is smooth enough would putting a second layer on be ok

4 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:58am
post #2 of 5

Unless you get the underneath layer smooth before applying the second layer, then the second layer won't be smooth either. Fondant emphasises all the lumps and bumps of whatever is underneath.

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:55am
post #3 of 5

It depends on what you mean about not smooth. As Coral said if you have bumps under your first layer of fondant they'll still be seen under the second covering. BUT if you've just put a few marks and small dings in your fondant while smoothing, then it will be fine to cover your cake with a second layer of fondant. Just brush your first layer of fondant with a little water so that the second layer will stick.

I actually did this the other week and it was great! I was doing a cake for my own purpose, so when I did cut into the cake you couldn't see that 2 layers had been applied. HTH icon_smile.gif

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 5

thanx for your reply when i put 1st layer on i forgot to take engagement ring off so i have a few dings and stuff, like i said it is almost smooth but im not happy with the finish thanx again

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 5

lol I know what you mean, I've done the same with my wedding ring. But it's good to know it's fixable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%