How Many Cups Of Frosting For 3 Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By mrs411mom Updated 27 May 2011 , 12:49pm by indydebi

mrs411mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrs411mom Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:24am
post #1 of 3

I am making a 3 tier wedding cake for 120 people. I would like to know how many cups of buttercream frosting I would need. The pan sizes are, 14,10 and 6. This is my first wedding cake I've made and would like to do the stuff ahead of time so Im not super rushed. Also when putting a raspberry filling in between the layers should I put a very light layer of frosting down first and then put the dam around it and then the raspberry filling? Any advice would be great! thank you!!!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:33am
post #2 of 3

I dont' measure icing by cups, but by a ratio of sugar to cake mixes. What I've found, for my own use, is that I will use four 2-lb bags of sugar for every 7 cake mixes, and usually with some leftover. So a 4:7 ratio.

So for a 14/10/6, which I would use 4/2/1 betty crocker mixes (total of 7), I would make 4 batches of icing (a 'batch' being defined as a recipe that uses 2-lbs of p.sugar).

On the filling, it depends on what kind of filling you are using. I used raspberry jam once (emergency situation) and it soaked right into the cake, so a layer of icing as a base would be a good idea. My normal raspberry filling is the sleeved fillings, which are made to go on cakes and I don't need an icing barrier for those.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%