How Can I Secure Things To The Bottom Of My Cake Board...

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 28 May 2011 , 7:20am by jennifercullen

jennifercullen Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:07am
post #1 of 10

So I am making a miniature version of the princess princess.gif castle cake like this:
I just wondered what would be best for the towers? I was going to just use some cardboard tubing like a used cling film tube, but now I'm thinking how on earth do I secure it so it doesnt move? Should I just place it on and 'glue' the icing which will be around it to the cake part then be extra careful when I'm transporting it? I am planning on cutting the corners off the cake anyway so the towers sit on each corner. Would something else be better to use for the towers?

Thank you for any suggestions in advance, I dont know where I'd be without this forum icon_redface.gif


9 replies
Davwattie Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:10am
post #2 of 10

You could make up some royal icing the same colour as the icing on the towers then use that to fix them to the cake.

Thats stuff is like super glue lol

Good luck with the cake thumbs_up.gif

cole10 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:59am
post #3 of 10

I also have used piping gel. It sticks pretty well.

heartsnsync Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 10

If you were to use a cardboard tube you would need to make sure to cover it with cling wrap to make sure any moisture from what you use to adhere the fondant, or the fondant itself, would not seep through the cardboard.

Another alternative is using a log of Rice Krispy Treats for the towers with a dowel inserted for the ones that go on the cake. Just ice them with butter cream smoothly and apply the fondant. If you use the RKT method, you should crush the rice cereal a bit before doing the recipe so to make the mix smoother since this is such a delicate application. HTH

jennifercullen Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 10

Ooh royal icing, great idea I didnt even think of that! I've never used piping gel, is it something you make? I doubt I'd be able to buy it anywhere round here!

Also that's a good idea about the rkt, but I thought it might be a bit heavy? I have used rkt 1 time before, but didn't have much luck with them, not my favourite material lol.

cheatize Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 10

I pushed RKT through pvc meant for water then shoved a skewer into it. After covering in candy melts and fondant, I stuck the skewer into the cake base. It traveled over 30 miles with no problem.

cole10 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 10

You can buy piping gel at Michaels and any local cake supply.

Crazboutcakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 10
Originally Posted by cole10

You can buy piping gel at Michaels and any local cake supply.

yes and also at walmart.

pmarks0 Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:27am
post #9 of 10

I would use royal icing. Piping gel may remain too soft and I don't think it dries firm enough to do the job for you.

Take a look at this tutorial. It may help with the towers.

jennifercullen Posted 28 May 2011 , 7:20am
post #10 of 10

I'm in England, and I'm in a small town where there is no cake supplies shop. there is a place that stocks a small range of cake decorating stuff, but its mostly lustre dusts, colouring gels and ready made cake toppers... the local supermarkets don't really stock anything like piping gel, its more sprinkles and coloured sugar for decorating with kids or something.

thanks for the link! I can't copy it right now as I'm using my mobile phone but will have a look when I go on the computer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%