Gum Tex In Place Of Tylose?

Baking By nicolesprinkle Updated 28 May 2011 , 12:10am by jules5000

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:25am
post #1 of 9

I mix a bit of tylose into my homemade fondant to make it stiffer or to make bows and such, but the closest store that carries Tylose is over an hour away. and I need some now. My local craft store sells Wilton Gum Tex so I was wondering if I can use it in the same way to stiffin the fondant? Thanks!

8 replies
Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:44am
post #2 of 9

You can definitely use the gum tex the same way as you've used the tylose. I use both - and they are almost identical. I just personally prefer the texture of the fondant with tylose if I have a choice - a little more elastic.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:46am
post #3 of 9

I've tried both and I much prefer tylose.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #4 of 9

I've used both gumtex and tylose in fondant. I've been successful with both. I got the tip from Mayen

(Not in the above video, I just snagged one real quick. She has great tutorials)

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #5 of 9

I've used both gumtex and tylose in fondant. I've been successful with both. I got the tip from Mayen

(Not in the above video, I just snagged one real quick. She has great tutorials)

nicolesprinkle Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much!!

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 9

I agree that both work but I also prefer the Tylose and have also found that the gum tex has slightly changed the color of my white fondant to just a little bit pink.

nicolesprinkle Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 9

I just used it and it worked fine!! I do prefer Tylose, but it will do in a crunch! Thanks again!!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 12:10am
post #9 of 9

I recently found a recipe for gumpaste through a forum on here and I am now wondering if I could use gum-tex instead of tylose in the recipe if I ran out of tylose?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%