Next Great Baker is casting again

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 12:32pm by DeliciousDesserts

Unlimited Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:03am
post #91 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

to those who applied, what in the world did u put for ORIGINAL ideas/tips for baking/decorating?? what is original anymore? I taught myself but I still couldn't come up with an idea I know a majority of other people are doing...

The question on my application was "What are your top 3 ORIGINAL baking/ingredients/decorating tips that demonstrate your baking/cooking knowledge? (Be specific, give us information, and teach us something. This is a chance for you to show us what you've got)."

That could be an original baking tip like a process or sequence that you do that you believe is unique.

It could be an unusual ingredient that you add to a recipe that doesn't normally include itsomething that you've tweaked to your own taste that most people wouldn't think to add or perhaps how to prepare/process an ingredient in a different way for a specific reason.

Or, a decorating tip (perhaps that you don't share with others) like using a unique tool, piece of equipment, method, or "secret" technique that you've discovered to make a process easier or faster.

Sugarflowers Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #92 of 165
Quote:

to those who applied, what in the world did u put for ORIGINAL ideas/tips for baking/decorating?? what is original anymore? I taught myself but I still couldn't come up with an idea I know a majority of other people are doing...

That was a tough one. Cooking has been around a LOT longer than any of us. I've had a few accidental techniques that have worked out well, so I listed those. I don't know how original they are. I seriously doubt that I was the first to discover them.

Good luck to all who applied.

Michele

cake_architect Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm
post #93 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Quote:

That was a tough one. Cooking has been around a LOT longer than any of us. I've had a few accidental techniques that have worked out well, so I listed those. I don't know how original they are. I seriously doubt that I was the first to discover them.

Good luck to all who applied.

Michele

same here, i was stumped on that question for a while but i ended up just putting my version of certain techniques, etc. Its hard to be 100% original these days

adven68 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 12:19pm
post #94 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

adven68, I couldn't imagine ANYONE insulting you nor sending you "to the box truck baby!". You got some mad skillz!

Lol...thank you.
I hope they realized that they don't need all the gimmicks and that viewers really just want to see a legitimate competition. I guess I can only speak for myself, but I enjoyed the Challenges before they added all the ridiculous twists...
My two faves are Amazing Wedding Cakes and Fabulous cakes (because they reveal the prices!!!)
Buddy needs to treat the competitors with a little more respect IMO

So, if anyone here gets on the show....don't take any crap! icon_smile.gif

adven68 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 12:20pm
post #95 of 165
Quote:

adven68, I couldn't imagine ANYONE insulting you nor sending you "to the box truck baby!". You got some mad skillz!

Lol...thank you.
I hope they realized that they don't need all the gimmicks and that viewers really just want to see a legitimate competition. I guess I can only speak for myself, but I enjoyed the Challenges before they added all the ridiculous twists...
My two faves are Amazing Wedding Cakes and Fabulous cakes (because they reveal the prices!!!)
Buddy needs to treat the competitors with a little more respect IMO

So, if anyone here gets on the show....don't take any crap! icon_smile.gif

sechrestloans Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:04pm
post #96 of 165

Does everyone that applies get asked to make a video also?

cakesdivine Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 12:27am
post #97 of 165

I don't think so, they decide from your app & photos if they find you interesting. I highly doubt they ask everyone to do a video. If they did they would have to go through thousands and thousands of videos. It does seem that they are staggering the process so they have time to go through all they like. I am sure they are still processing applications. I know several got their apps in before I did and were asked to make a video before I received my request to submit a video. They create the short time frame so they can deal with a set number of videos at a time. Granted this is all speculation, but it seems like the most efficient way to process the amount of applications I am sure they are receiving.

sechrestloans Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 1:00am
post #98 of 165

Oh ok... I sent my app in yesterday and got the email today. Wasn't expecting to hear at all, but after reading this forum post it seems like a lot of videos are out there LOL

Unlimited Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #99 of 165

I wouldn't have imagined that they'd get any more than 40 or so volunteers to put themselves through this competition (only came across 50 something YouTube auditions for the first season), but there are over 140 public auditions to date!

Here's an update of new submissions found:

95. Paul Conti (mrConti33) - New York
96. Jennifer DeSane (nextgreatbaker) "CakeHampton.com"
97. Yvette Romero (YvetteTheCakeChica) Illinois
98. Katie Smith (lAcakesmith)
99. Mike Mazzaferro (mikemazzaferro)
100. (tinkerdust00)
101. Donna Flynn (donnascakesyall)
102. Jerry Smith (JerrysCakelab) California
103. Jasmine "JasyCakez" Merritt (JasyCakez215) Pennsylvania
104. Charissa Leigh Bailey (charissaleigh)
105. Corinne Dannon (corinneelyse) Florida
106. Amanda Marie Estrada? (thejoyofcake) Texas
107. Shannon Mackey (shannonmackey1) Arizona
108. Susie (SuperSweetSusie613)
109. Julie Voudrie (JVoudrie) Tennessee
110. Jennifer Jimenez (Yournextgreatbaker)
111. Lanae Workman (NGB2Lanae)
112. Danielle Barnes (DBcakes4u)
113. Shannon Holt (513mamacita) Arizona
114. Christina _____? (ChristinaNGBSeason2)
115. Christina Strellec-Simpson (christinastrellec1)
116. Carmelo Oquendo (thecakefather) Massachusetts
117. Michele Foster (Sugarflorist) Texas
118. Tori Shyrock (towianjel)
119. Meghan Shaw (669DanceQueen) Arizona
120. Adonna Zehr (AdonnasBakery1) Florida
121. Priscilla Andrews (IamPrissey)
122. Randall Boris? (cakemanrandy)
123. Chris Luna (LunaCoustic)
124. Ruby M. (rumabby)
125. Amy Grue (AmyatCakesInLove) Alaska
126. Summer Holdsworth (sugarmeupSummer)
127. Tamra Grimes (mbn504) Mississippi
128. Christina Fightmaster (bwmomma) Alabama
129. Linda S. (TheYoMaTube) California
130. Laurie Ann Leer-Martinez (sweetkissescake)
131. LeAnn Walter? (wannago2Hobokenbaby) Canada
132. Marian Rooms (mrooms100)
133. Laura O'Connor (owlie27) Minnesota
134. Kara Radel (mikeradelart)
135. Sarah Anthony (bengela57) Kentucky
136. Amelia Esquilin (ameliaesquilin)
137. Ashley Holt? (Ashleylh1icon_cool.gif
138. Kristen Bittel (craibit)
139. Kim Sechrest (cakerybakeryshop) Florida
140. Andrew (MuffinMan053)
141. Nancy Sepe (Nfancycakes) - Rhode Island
142. Agatha Costello? (thefivefootchef)
143. Carla Wuerpel (cwuerp) Tennessee
144. Kayleigh Ann Lindstrom (kl616364)

gingersoave Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:56pm
post #100 of 165

I also did a video and was told yesterday that July 11th they will pick their semi-finalists to meet the producers I believe you go to New York and then they choose from there the finalists. My lady (Jessica) said that if we have not been contacted that week then we did not make the simi-finalist cut and they will not contact us.

Good luck to everyone that made the videos!!!

ginger
www.theicingonthecake-ginger.com

all4cake Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 6:33pm
post #101 of 165

Thanks for the updates, Unlimited and gingersoave!

Unlimited Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm
post #102 of 165

Sorry, when I listed the first 85 they weren't numbered and I left out #85:
Jamie Capasso (jamiecapasso23)

Quote:

Thanks for the updates, Unlimited and gingersoave!

You're very welcome.

cake_architect Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:49pm
post #103 of 165

yes thank you for the updates! super informative icon_biggrin.gif and unlimited, i love that you post all the new videos- i could never find them all on my own and i like to watch them lol! usually i just watch the quickfire portion though, i don't really take the time to watch the interviews lol

Unlimited Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:36am
post #104 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

yes thank you for the updates! super informative icon_biggrin.gif and unlimited, i love that you post all the new videos- i could never find them all on my own and i like to watch them lol! usually i just watch the quickfire portion though, i don't really take the time to watch the interviews lol

You're welcome. (Me toodon't care for all the "wordz", just show the skillz!)

145. Debra Roger (assjnmom)
146. Edward Frys (nextgreatbakerisme)
147. Julie Whritenour (jwhritenour)
148. Veronique de Groot (cherrytoppin) New Jersey
149. Giti Henrie (Ghenrie1) North Carolina

cakesdivine Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:18am
post #105 of 165

Has anyone heard anything yet? I thought today was the deadline to hear if you made the cut for the producers to check you out. I half expected to see a dozen or so responses of people saying they made the next cut.

Nancv Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:29am
post #106 of 165

This is what I heard today...I emailed the lady who contacted me..her name is Julie and this is what she wrote...Hi Nancy,
We are choosing semi-finalists this weekend. If chosen to be moved on to the next round you will be contact for a producer....so I guess we will all continue waiting...

cakesdivine Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:38am
post #107 of 165

So another week huh? whew...LOL

all4cake Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:44am
post #108 of 165

I've been making the grandbabies stuff. to keep from thinking about it. I've got a sweater, two pair of pants, a sundress and half a doll...oh, yeah...and those mini tutes. I'm gonna have 'em all outfitted before this weekend

(I hate a thumbs down on youtube without an explanation...icon_sad.gif )

ETA: and two little purses icon_lol.gif

cakesdivine Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:48am
post #109 of 165

Some people are just mean! I highly doubt the producers did a like or dislike on each persons videos.

all4cake Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:50am
post #110 of 165

nah...the thumbs down was on my last mini tute. It may have been because it was at hyper speed.

all4cake Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:51am
post #111 of 165

I don't mind the thumbs down...it just woulda been great had they gave an explanation for it.

cake_architect Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:59am
post #112 of 165

Aww i just told my family "i guess i can try again next year..." lol! Glad to hear i'm not totally out of the runnning yet! Good luck everyone!

And all4cake, it probably was just in malice :/ remeber what they say though, jealousy just means you have something the other person wants!

all4cake Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:16am
post #113 of 165

daggum...I don't wanna think that they were just bein' mean...I seriously don't think it's 'cause they were jealous of a tutorial...not that one anyway. I'ma go with it's 'cause it was too fast for 'em to follow.

Unlimited Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:00am
post #114 of 165

I was contacted on Friday.

"Could you please sign and send back the attached release form. Hope to have some news about the semifinalist round in the next week or so."

gscout73 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:55am
post #115 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

I was contacted on Friday.

"Could you please sign and send back the attached release form. Hope to have some news about the semifinalist round in the next week or so."

That's great! thumbs_up.gif Good luck! Wish I was good enough to be on tv. icon_lol.gif

platinumlady Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:50am
post #116 of 165
Quote:

daggum...I don't wanna think that they were just bein' mean...I seriously don't think it's 'cause they were jealous of a tutorial...not that one anyway. I'ma go with it's 'cause it was too fast for 'em to follow.

I don't see any other reason ... I just watched it & the video is flawless...great job

cakesdivine Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:58pm
post #117 of 165

I was asked to send back the release form in the email I got asking me to make my video, so I did. I think everyone has to download it electronically sign it and send it back.

gingersoave Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:42am
post #118 of 165

Has anyone heard anything this week? I am still waiting......I honestly didnt think I would care one way or the other but I find myself checking my email nonstop and waiting around for the phone to ring and when it does ring my heart skips a beat!!!!! So I guess I want this more than I thought!!! Good luck to everyone!!!!!

ginger
www.theicingonthecake-ginger.com

Nancv Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:28pm
post #119 of 165

i think starting tomorrow until this weekend is over all applicants will have some stress in one shape or the other about whether or not they were choosen as semi finalists....julie the lady that i spoke to said that this weekend is when they make announcements....to all applicants...GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES....to selected semi finalists...CONGRATS...give em all you got and if you weren't chosen...DONT GIVE UP....keep your head up and stand tall...and keep trying...

sechrestloans Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:50am
post #120 of 165

I just assumed everyone has already been picked already.Sadly not me icon_sad.gif This is what I found on facebook:

"Casting for Season 2 will stop taking submissions this Friday (July 1st). We will only be in contact with those moving forward to the semi-final round. Thank you all again for applying and sharing your amazing stories & talents with us. This has truly been a blast and we expect a great season. P.S. Semi-Finalists won't be picked until the end of next week or the following week (around July 10th to July 14th). There will be no announcements (postings etc) regarding our picks since this is strictly confidential and off limits to discuss. Thanks again, NGB Casting Team

By: Dominique Bouchard-Casting"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%