What Do You Use To Dust Under Fondant?

Decorating By SarahBeth3 Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 1:16pm by SarahBeth3

SarahBeth3 Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering what all is used out there? I know powdered sugar is the most commonly recommended, but have you found using something different works better for you?

6 replies
prue23 Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

I use cornstarch and it works great, just a little bit not a lot is needed

Elaine2581 Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 7

It depends on what I'm working with. I use powdered sugar under fondant that is going to cover a cake but for small cut pieces that I'm rolling very thin I prefer cornstarch.

Coral3 Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 7

I know many people use cornflour... it is fantastic for preventing the fondant from sticking while rolling it out, but I don't like how it leaves the fondant with a powdery/dusty look if you use more than the smallest amount. I rarely have a problem with residual powdered sugar on fondant when I use it. Some people also use shortening, but I've had no experience with that.

MaryAnnPriest Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 7

If there is a 'dusty' residue from the cornstartch (or p.s.!) give the fondant a 'crisco rub'! (I use crisco on a Viva papertowel) Be generous. The crisco will take away the dustyness and absorb into the fondant giving you a nice finish.

BlakesCakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:23am
post #6 of 7

No dust. Can't be bothered with the mess.

I roll all of my fondant on vegetable shortening. Works like a charm with nothing to clean up.

Rae

SarahBeth3 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your replies. I haven't been able to get into the forums for a weeks, so I am just now reading them. I tried powdered sugar when I first started using fondant and it didn't work for me at all, especially on larger pieces and I had to lift and turn the fondant a lot and it would end up tearing. (maybe it was just the lack of experience.) So for some reason I started putting canola oil under it, and this worked so much better than the PS that I just kept using it not knowing what else to do. When I recently used gum paste for the first time it said to put shortening under it, so I thought, why not under fondant too. I tried it and LOVE it. I've heard that using PS can dry out the fondant, so with the shortening I don't have to worry about that either!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%