Does Anyone Else Feel Like Their Cakes Go Unnoticed?

Decorating By flourjuice Updated 27 May 2011 , 11:53pm by Rosita0547

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 26 May 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 29

Just wondering if anyone else feels like their cakes go unnoticed?

28 replies
Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 29

Yes, I get lots of views sometimes but no comments. There is another thread on this same subject. I replied to it and gave a favorite cake and received one comment. There are just so many beautiful and creative cakes posted daily and the pictures are so small. I usually only look at the ones that are really unique or look like something I might like to try in the future. I do usually try to comment on each one that I look at because I know how much I appreciate positive and encouraging comments. Don't be discouraged. Just keep caking and posting.

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 29

I definitely do but there are cakes 10000000 times better than mine on here.

I do however once in a blue moon get replies on my cakes and I smile but I post on here to remember what I've worked on and I'm proud of. =D

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 29

What do you qualify as "unnoticed"? If you get no "favorites?" Personally, I know that I look at the site daily, and there are always TONS of cakes that I think are beautiful or that I admire the work. However, for me, I don't put every cake that I like into my favorites area, because when I go to look for a cake that I would like to replicate in some way, I would have to literally weed through thousands of cakes and that would be a nightmare!! I also only click on and view cakes that I think I might like, therefore, I DO "notice" these cakes. I will comment occasionally on cakes that I think are great but that I have no need to put into my favorites, simply because I would never make such cakes. It doesn't mean that I don't like them and haven't noticed them though. Maybe there are others that think the same way I do...?

flourjuice Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:45am
post #5 of 29

Just glad to know that I'm not the only one. I do really appreciate any comments I get and really try to comment as well on the ones that I view. I just know how hard we all work on our cakes. Thanks for the feedback. BTW, I've been a newbie for years. How do you move up? Maybe that should be another thread. LOL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:51am
post #6 of 29

Its fun to get comments but I don't always get them.....its okay...as long as the customer is happy, its fine. I know its nice to get them, though, but then I don't always comment on all the photos I look at, either!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourjuice

Just glad to know that I'm not the only one. I do really appreciate any comments I get and really try to comment as well on the ones that I view. I just know how hard we all work on our cakes. Thanks for the feedback. BTW, I've been a newbie for years. How do you move up? Maybe that should be another thread. LOL

You move up as you post.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:13am
post #8 of 29

I know what you mean - it's wonderful to get feedback, if not for execution, at least for creativity! But how many of us are there on this site now? It seems like I see tons of posts from new people here every day (something that I'm very glad to see, by the way!), so we must number in the tens of thousands by now! It's hard to get noticed with those odds. But I'm only too happy to keep putting my photos on here, even if it's only to have a record of my own progress.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:41am
post #9 of 29

Yes, I'd have to agree - I've been doing this for a year and I always tell myself that's when I know I'm good, when one of my cakes makes it to the most saved list - lol - in the mean time, I'll just keep on practicing and practicing!

warchild Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:54am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I know what you mean - it's wonderful to get feedback, if not for execution, at least for creativity! But how many of us are there on this site now? It seems like I see tons of posts from new people here every day (something that I'm very glad to see, by the way!), so we must number in the tens of thousands by now! It's hard to get noticed with those odds. But I'm only too happy to keep putting my photos on here, even if it's only to have a record of my own progress.

At the moment icon_biggrin.gif

Our users have posted a total of 2450323 articles
We have 352162 registered users
The newest registered user is Alex0306
In total there are 10637 users online :: 382 Registered, 30 Hidden and 10225 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
Most users ever online was 318702 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 pm

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:02am
post #11 of 29

Well, I knew there were lots of us, but I had no idea there were that many! Wow!

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #12 of 29

That's the whole point...if there are tens of thousands, you would think that more people would be viewing and commenting...hhhmmm

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:22am
post #13 of 29

I have a policy which is more a personal pet peeve. If the person posting the pic doesn't describe what went into the cake I don't comment. I figure if they don't feel it's necessary to comment on their own cake neither do Iicon_smile.gif

That said I only favorite cakes I plan on using a design or technique from. I do try to comment on cakes that speak to me.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:57am
post #14 of 29

Silly wabbitz, I concur.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:12am
post #15 of 29

sillywabbitz, I agree too! I'm always disappointed when I click on a really cool cake that I'm interested in, and then there's no info on it. Total let down! ESPECIALLY when it's a really neat and new technique!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:15am
post #16 of 29

I do feel this sometimes, and I have to remind myself that there are A TON of cakes being uploaded every day, and that as soon as I upload one, there are 10 others right behind me. I also find that there are trends on this site. For example, the lovely rosette cake was the big thing recently, so there is one in the most saved area everyday, if not two. People save what gives them inspiration, or stuff they want to try. So yes, some beautiful cakes go unnoticed. You are not alone, just keep caking!!!!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:07am
post #17 of 29

Do my cakes go unnoticed? On here, of course they do sometimes, but when you are up against some if the best work in the world (IMO!) of course that's bound to happen. Which makes it so much better when something I have done finds itself in 'Most Viewed' glory!

One suggestion I would give to others concerned that their work is disappearing into a void, add decent tags . Some of my most viewed cakes never made it onto most viewed.

However in saying all that, i can honestly say my cakes never go unnoticed at home, where it really matters icon_wink.gif

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:30am
post #18 of 29

Actually, there probably SHOULD be a "most viewed" category on the front page instead of just a "most saved" or "newest posting" category. That way, people who's cakes are getting "noticed" would know it and feel the appreciation that they seem to be missing (since, it would seem, that this is a very popular subject for new threads).

As I said before, I favorite the ones that I may want to try or keep for inspiration and comment on ones that I find just amazing. Unfortunately, it takes a lot out of me to type a post (due to neck injury and the fact that I can hardly feel my fingers most of the time), so to post a comment for every photo that I view would be sheer torture!! It doesn't, however, mean that I don't appreciate those cakes...

IMHO you should view how many times your cake has been viewed as whether or not it is appreciated by others here on CC, rather than how many people save it to their favorites or how many comments you receive.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:42am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxicakes

Actually, there probably SHOULD be a "most viewed" category on the front page instead of just a "most saved" or "newest posting" category. That way, people who's cakes are getting "noticed" would know it and feel the appreciation that they seem to be missing (since, it would seem, that this is a very popular subject for new threads).

If you go to the photo galleries, there are way more viewing options:

Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Most Saved Most Emailed My Saved Photos

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:47am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourjuice

Just wondering if anyone else feels like their cakes go unnoticed?

Show off your favorite cake that went unnoticed on CC:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624465-.html

Your "undernoticed cakes" PART II/Continued:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-579322-.html

Your under noticed cakes....link here!!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-394813-.html

Your most saved cake...link your creation!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-400923-.html

HTH

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:10am
post #21 of 29

The more you learn to survive without praise - the easier your life becomes

1000 comments does not make a nice cake - same as no comments does not translate to rubbish cake.

So long as YOU are happy with your cake and whomever you made it for was happy - then the comments of others is just superfluous

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

sillywabbitz, I agree too! I'm always disappointed when I click on a really cool cake that I'm interested in, and then there's no info on it. Total let down! ESPECIALLY when it's a really neat and new technique!

We have so many foreign members here on CC. Please remember that sometimes, when cakes are uploaded with no description, it is because the member does not speak English. Some of the most creative and unique cakes I've seen are from some of our members from Europe, South America and Southeast Asia.

I always like to say, "do unto others". If you like to receive comments, then you also have to give them. I know how good it makes me feel when others appreciate my hard work so I do try (when I have free time) to comment on cakes I feel deserve it.

warchild Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:52pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow0369

That's the whole point...if there are tens of thousands, you would think that more people would be viewing and commenting...hhhmmm

The tens of thousands might also be submitting their own cake photos. It would be impossible to view all those photos or leave a comment on each one.

The ten thousand and up that are "visiting" CC are not registered. If you are not registered, you cannot leave a comment on a photo. I'd say 90% of those vistors are not interested in joining CC, they're simply looking for ideas for little Joey or Janes BD cake.

All in all, it's unrealistic to expect a lot of comments on cake photos when traffic on CC is so high.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:11pm
post #24 of 29

I'm very happy when one of my cakes gets comments or favorites. It's just nice to be acknowledged and complimented by others who have the same passion. Like others have said, It just makes my day on those very seldom occasions when one of my cakes make it to the most saved of the day!

But I do agree with others, my number one priority is the person I've made the cake for. That's who I want to please. And I love seeing the expression on their face when they get to see it. I spend a lot of time and put a lot of tlc and work into my cakes, and for me, that's the reward.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #25 of 29

I'm enjoying reading thoughts on this subject. I like posting pictures as a record of my progress too and if it helps someone, even if I never know it, then that's an extra. Recently following a piano recital our son said, "It's great when friends and family tell you that you played well, but that's kind of expected. But when a total stranger walks up to you and tells you that you played well, you feel awesome!" So, with all the terrific cake artists here, if I get a photo saved or a comment, it really makes my day because these people are better than me and know the time and effort it takes to do this. I'm glad I can just do it for fun and don't have to do it as a business though because it is very tiring and hard on my hands. Keep caking ya'll!!!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:26pm
post #26 of 29

I have noticed that the cakes that I have actually made up the design and didn't copy from someone on here, are saved a bunch more then repeat ones I have copied. When I see for example a Toy Story cake of Woody sitting on the bed, I don't even click on it because I have seen it hundreds of times even though yours might be better then the one I saw last.

The great thing about being a hobby baker is that all friends and family rant and rave and say you should open a bakery tomorrow...(rolling my eyes). I get so much praise at home sometimes its nice to come on here, post what I think is an awesome cake and then be brought back to earth that I am actually in real life not the next Cake Boss. LOL

In the beginning I checked all the time to see if someone saved my cake, but I have also realized that it all depends on when you post your pic. If you post on Fri, Sat Sun, Mon...everyone is fresh off a cake weekend and they are all uploading pics too. Post on Wed morning and maybe your pic will stay in the recently uploaded a bit longer for people to actually see it.

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:00pm
post #27 of 29

I think it is funny cause my cakes that I think are not very good get more views than ones I think are great. Granted I only have like 5 pics! I do think it has tons to do with a cake everyone has seen a lot....doesn't mean it is not awesome though! I look at lots of cakes but don't comment on all....I see pretty cakes in the small pics but don't click on them cause I have already seen similar ones. I only save cakes if I want to later remember the design and I don't want a million to weed through! icon_smile.gif

flourjuice Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:05pm
post #28 of 29

Thanks for all the feedback. I was just wondering if anyone else felt that way. Just to let everyone know, I don't sit at home crying due to lack of comments or favorite marked. I'm too busy baking and decorating the suckers! LOL I really enjoy being a part of this community and the high level of cakes shown always encourage me to try to do better! Love this sight! icon_smile.gif

Rosita0547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosita0547 Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:53pm
post #29 of 29

I think that we all post our cakes with hopes to get maybe a "Nice Job" at least. I know I do. But as I see now, its very rare. I was on another Cake Site for a month and I got soooo many comments on every photo I posted it was GREAT. But I like this site alot, its very helpful in so many other ways.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%