Duff Airbrush? Wth!!

Decorating By dulcearoma Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 4:45pm by sillywabbitz

dulcearoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcearoma Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 20

I am soo excited, I think icon_confused.gif I just bought the Duff airbrush machine and realized when I read what I thought would be the instructions on how to use the thing that it doesn't tell you crap icon_mad.gif All the thing tells you is how to clean it and the name of the parts if the machine. This is very frustrating due to the fact that I have never used an airbrush before. icon_cry.gif Someone please help icon_cry.gif I checked the website and nothing either icon_mad.gif

19 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 20

That's lame... I wish I had some advice for you but I've never used an airbrush before. But good to know in case a newbie was looking to purchase this one...

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 20

I found this tutorial on the Wilton website. Looks like someone who replied to the tutorial said it was Duff's airbrush....hope it helps. =)

http://www.wilton.com/blog/index.php/airbrushing-tips-and-techniques/

dulcearoma Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:59am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periperi

I found this tutorial on the Wilton website. Looks like someone who replied to the tutorial said it was Duff's airbrush....hope it helps. =)

Thank you Periperi, the link was helpful. I am still wondering what the little tool that it came with was for though. It looks like it may be to adjust something. icon_confused.gif This sucks icon_mad.gif

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:29am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcearoma

Quote:

Thank you Periperi, the link was helpful. I am still wondering what the little tool that it came with was for though. It looks like it may be to adjust something. icon_confused.gif This sucks icon_mad.gif

I bought a cheap little airbrush system a few months ago and it had what I thought was an extra piece, but it ended up being the piece that attached the hose to the compressor. I thought that the hose just screwed on, but it actually needs an extra little doohickey to attach... Do you have your system all connected? Maybe it's a connector somewhere?

dulcearoma Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

Quote:

Quote:

I bought a cheap little airbrush system a few months ago and it had what I thought was an extra piece, but it ended up being the piece that attached the hose to the compressor. I thought that the hose just screwed on, but it actually needs an extra little doohickey to attach... Do you have your system all connected? Maybe it's a connector somewhere?

Thanks HappyCake, I think I connected the tube properly and didn't seem to need any extra doohickey icon_lol.gif I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I will keep that in mind , just in case.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 20

the little tool is a wrench used to take the airbrush apart...

Seems very easy to use, you connect the airhose to the compressor, then the other end to the air inlet on the bottom of the brush... the paint reseoir, turn on the compressor (it says not to switch between the settings quickly as you could damage the unit), then pull back on the trigger and you should be spraying...

i've never used an airbrush prior to the Duff but i'm thinking this is NOT a great piece... i guess it's ok for the price, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of air pressure therefore it just doesn't seem to work well IMO... it's a nice little package, looks good but i don't feel i'm getting any or little control of my paint...

i'd like to get some reccomendations on a "GOOD" system that will allow me to do as good of work as my talents allows me...

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 20

Im so glad someone posted about the Duff Airbrush. Im in the market for an Airbrush and was curious on how everyone likes Duffs.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 20

For $129 minus 40% it's a good deal but I still thinks it's limited in it's capabilities.

dulcearoma Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenTalentsCollide

Seems very easy to use, you connect the airhose to the compressor, then the other end to the air inlet on the bottom of the brush... the paint reseoir, turn on the compressor (it says not to switch between the settings quickly as you could damage the unit), then pull back on the trigger and you should be spraying...

i've never used an airbrush prior to the Duff but i'm thinking this is NOT a great piece... i guess it's ok for the price, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of air pressure therefore it just doesn't seem to work well IMO... it's a nice little package, looks good but i don't feel i'm getting any or little control of my paint...

i'd like to get some reccomendations on a "GOOD" system that will allow me to do as good of work as my talents allows me...

Good to know, thanks, I will hold on to the reciept. Does anyone know of a good airbrush?

dulcearoma Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenTalentsCollide

Good to know, thanks, I will hold on to the reciept. Does anyone know of a good airbrush?

I hope I won't have a need to take it apart do to the fact that I would just be there looking at pieces and the what?? no instructions included icon_surprised.gif

lorenaortegarox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorenaortegarox Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 20

please update us on how it works! i ordered one from ebay last week and im excited to start airbrushing soon! icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 20

I bought a great compressor for $60 at harbor freight and an airbrush for $10. After tax I spent about $75 for the set. The compressor is completely adjustable and a more professional one than the ones that look similar to the kopykake black box compressor, and the airbrush is really good too.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I bought a great compressor for $60 at harbor freight and an airbrush for $10. After tax I spent about $75 for the set. The compressor is completely adjustable and a more professional one than the ones that look similar to the kopykake black box compressor, and the airbrush is really good too.

Which compressor did you buy? Model #
Thanks! I bought a nice brush at Hobby Lobby with a coupon, and have a compressor, but it is big. I would love to have GOOD small one that is adjustable similar to Kopykake.

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 20

Cakesdivine, Where did you get the airbrush from as well? Thanks!

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:48pm
post #16 of 20

Harbor Freight is the best. I, too, bought a compressor there for $80, and a $10 airbrush, and was even able to pick up a box of 10 little paint containers for $20. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my compressor. It regulates so nicely. Very pleased with that purchase.

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:45pm
post #17 of 20

I am really surprised by the reviews....I have a huge airbrush that cost hundreds of dollars...then picked up Duff's more for back up than anything. I was very impressed with it. I was nervous at first because itsbsimple in comparison, but was surprised to find I can do all that my delux will do! And this one is compact to take places on delivery, very quiet and will hold the gun with color in it for me! Who could ask for more? And don't get me started on price!!! Soooooo much cheaper.....

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 20

Duff's airbrush is the same one that is sold by Geraldine Randlesome (Creative Cutters) and many other cake supply websites (in green rather than Duff's black). It's an entry-level airbrush not intended for heavy usage. I purchased mine at National Capital Cake Show this past March 2011 from Ed Frye (don't remember the company, but he owns it I think). I love it, it's a great little machine for what it is. It makes airbrushing affordable to those of us that don't own a business and want one for occasional use (or to bring on deliveries like MissMona said).

You can google "how to use an airbrush" and will get lots of useful information. My advice is to just play around with it and you'll figure out how to airbrush with it.

~Chelle

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:39pm
post #19 of 20

I bought the KopyKake one years ago for $200 and it's still working great. Really good invenstment.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:45pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I too would love to know what model you bought from Harbor freight. I see there a couple on their site. If you're not sure of the model, could you post a pic? I was just about to purchase a used kopykake for $100 but if Harbor freight has a good one. I'd rather get new.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%