Manhandling Cakes:)

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 27 May 2011 , 2:11am by momto2pottsy

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 7

So I just got the Back to Basics DVD by Sharon Z and it's great but I'm watching this cracking up. She beats on her pans, picks up her uniced cakes with no worries...she really doesn't seem to stress about the cakes cracking etc.

I am always such a big sissy when working with my cakes...I've been handling them with kid gloves. I feel much better knowing that they are tougher than I thought!

6 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:20am
post #2 of 7

I guess it really depends a lot on the recipe. Some cakes I could kick clear across the room and they'd arrive on the other side in one piece...others spontaneously break apart when they see me coming toward them with the oven mitt.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:47am
post #3 of 7

hehehehe Coral ......... I agree icon_smile.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:09am
post #4 of 7

they day I finally "got" fondant, was the day i saw a professional working with it. It wasn't "what" she was doing, it was "how" she was doing it. She wasn't gently playing with it, she was showing it who was boss. She tugged, she pushed, she pulled. She wasn't scared, and now I'm not either.
yep, cake needs a firm hand to do right!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:24am
post #5 of 7

So how is that DVD, Wabbitz? Is it worth the purchase?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:51am
post #6 of 7

Yeah, I agree that it depends on the cake, but I've found they mostly do just fine when you pick them up as if they were so much heavy styrofoam. And you're right about the fondant, too, jenmat. Treat it gingerly and it will just wrinkle and stick to itself where it shouldn't.

momto2pottsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momto2pottsy Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:11am
post #7 of 7

Coral-your response was hilarious!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%