Fondant

Decorating By ReneeT Updated 26 May 2011 , 9:21pm by metria

ReneeT Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am just getting started on decorating cakes. Do you prefer homemade fondant over store bought, and is there a lot of differece between the two? If so, does anyone have a really good recipe, they would like to share?

6 replies
Moovaughan Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 7

Wilton fondant leaves a lot to be desired, however, there are some tasty commercial fondants out there but homemade fondant is very easy to make and very very tasty. There are numerous recipies on this website, if you go to "Most Saved Recipies" go to Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and that , in my opinion, is the very best of the homemade fondants on this site... I make nothing but that one and one of my clients who had tasted my beginners cake with Wilton fondant and said YUCK! has eaten my latest cakes with RMMF and now that's all she asks for!

ReneeT Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you moovaughan for replying to my question. I will give the homemade fondant a try!

Moovaughan Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7

Also take a look at Youtube and you can see some very good videos of the steps to make it and how it should look, texture, etc. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

chrissypie Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 7

I honestly think the new Wilton formulation is not too bad tasting, like marshmallow. It used to be God awful! I also find it very easy to work with. I tried the Duff stuff, it tastes yummy but harder to work with in my opinion because it is softer. I absolutely HATE Satin Ice. The smell and taste of it makes me gag. I am getting sick just thinking about it! Every time I would open that bucket I would turn green! I just threw it out! Waste of money. I hear FondX is pretty good too.

ShakyCakes99 Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

I honestly think the new Wilton formulation is not too bad tasting, like marshmallow. It used to be God awful! I also find it very easy to work with. I tried the Duff stuff, it tastes yummy but harder to work with in my opinion because it is softer. I absolutely HATE . The smell and taste of it makes me gag. I am getting sick just thinking about it! Every time I would open that bucket I would turn green! I just threw it out! Waste of money. I hear FondX is pretty good too.

Wow! I am so glad I didn't order that bucket of black satin ice fondant!

metria Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 7

i think it's a good idea to buy a little store-bought fondant so you can see what it's like and how it works. there's a bit of a learning curve with fondant, so try to get your hands on different kinds so you can get a feel for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%