Converting Recipes

Baking By Bean123 Updated 28 May 2011 , 6:26am by mena2002

Bean123 Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 5

I want to start weighing my cake recipes, how do I convert them over?

4 replies
pmarks0 Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 5

I use the internet. If I want to know what a cup of flour weighs, then I good "what does one cup of flour weigh" and I get many links which give me a breakdown on the different types of flour, so 1c of AP flour is 5oz and 1c of cake flour is 4oz. A cup of granulated sugar weights 7oz but when it comes to a cup of powdered sugar, light brown sugar or dark brown sugar, they're all different.

And remember that a "cup", as a volume measure, is not the same all over the world. For example, a US cup is 236.6 ml while a UK cup is 284.13 ml and a Canada cup is 227.3 ml.

I've never used either of these sites, but I've heard they're good. And looking at them, I've now added them to my favourites.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/tutorials/conversion.html

http://www.sweetnapa.com/volume-to-weight-ingredient-conversion

Coral3 Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:39am
post #3 of 5

...and in Australia a cup is 250ml

If you want to convert your recipes and make sure you're getting the correct weights for your measures then you could make the recipe as normal, measuring as you have been, but weigh each ingredient after measuring it and jot down the weight on your recipe as you go. Sounds painful, but you'll only have to do it once for each recipe, then you can be sure the recipe will turn out the same as always.

auzzi Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:52am
post #4 of 5

..and a UK cup is 284.13 ml .. the "old" breakfast cup? maybe ..

UK cooks/bakers weigh their dry ingredients, rarely use volumetric measures for dry ingredients and use "1 cup=8 fl.oz or 250ml" ..

mena2002 Posted 28 May 2011 , 6:26am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

...and in Australia a cup is 250ml

If you want to convert your recipes and make sure you're getting the correct weights for your measures then you could make the recipe as normal, measuring as you have been, but weigh each ingredient after measuring it and jot down the weight on your recipe as you go. Sounds painful, but you'll only have to do it once for each recipe, then you can be sure the recipe will turn out the same as always.

thumbs_up.gif that's what I would do too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%