What's The Best Way To Make String Work For Travel

Decorating By mareg Updated 27 May 2011 , 3:14pm by genevieveyum

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 8

I have a cake to make. it will have string work on the side. is there a trick to getting the buttercream to be strong for traveling?[/u]

7 replies
WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 8

String work? Like the kind done with royal icing? I'm confused...

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 8

Buttercream stringwork, if piped on top of garlands/swags will be just fine. If piped on the sides (as in dropped stringworknot drawn on), just make sure that it does come in contact with the sides along some point or it can definitely fall off during transport because it will be air dried and brittle. If a string doesn't make a connection, consider removing it and pipe again or else you'll need to repair later. Be prepared to redo any that break after delivery. (Most people wouldn't notice, depending on the design.)

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 8

What about purchasing some unbreakable lace powder and using that?

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 8

I don't know what type of buttercream you use, but I use SMBC for stringwork all the time on my non-fondant covered cakes with excellent results, even after traveling far distances. I like to make sure the cake is very well chilled before piping the stringwork. Good luck!

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 8

Hmm- I always thought stringwork meant royal icing- suspended fron the side of the cake. Could someone post an example of buttercream stringwork?
Also- you may be able to use Sugarveil to do stringwork that would be more flexible.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 8

stringwork is a technique. you can do it in royal, buttercream and i've even seen it done with fondant extruded out of a clay gun. just google buttercream stringwork.

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 8

Oh- I feel so dumb, I was thinking of bridgework.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%