kuticakesncookies Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:12pm
post #1 of

Hi. I've been asked to make 5000 cookies for an event that's coming up in two months...and yes, I have to get going on this! I've never made that many before and was wondering how you figure out if a recipe can be quadrupled or not. I have a great recipe for sugar cookies I use all the time but am not sure if it can be more than doubled. Anyone know how to determine if recipes are able to be multiplied by many times?

10 replies
kellikrause Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of

I probably wouldn't do more then double. I would be worried about mixing time mostly. I would do double batches and freeze them. But what do I know icon_smile.gif just my very novice opinion

Herekittykitty Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #3 of

There is a science in each recipe that does not often work the same when the batches get large. A single batch recipe can usually be safely doubled or tripled but past that the chemistry may change. Check online, there must be some kind of converstion calculator that can help. The interweb has everything.

Hopefully someone who is knowlegeable about the chemistry will chime in.

Good Luck!

TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:32pm
post #4 of

I have recipes of cookies we make every year for Christmas. Over the years the recipes have been doubled or more, reduced and so forth that I really have no idea what the size of the original recipes called for. We have never had any problems with them.

The biggest problem you will probably have is if it will fit in your mixer.

indydebi Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:57pm
post #5 of

I took every one of my cookie recipes and double-doubled them (times 4) to use in my 20qt mixer in the shop. All of them worked fine.

I believe I've read advice from our expert scratch-cake bakers that double-tripling recipes is a factor on cakes because of the difference in surface size of the cakes (8" vs. 16"); baking powder/soda's chemical reaction over the surface area and how certain ingredients need adjusted for this. However, the surface area of a cookie is pretty much the same.

Are these going to be decorated cookies or the drop-type of cookies (choc chip; snickerdoodles, etc.)? You must be really excited for such an order!! thumbs_up.gif

CookiesinLA Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:33am
post #6 of

I've increased my sugar cookie recipe 10x to mix in our 30 qt. mixer with no problems. Just pace yourself and think about how you're going to transport all those cookies! Have fun!!

Chonte Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:00am
post #7 of

agreed. ive never had issues when doubling cookie dough. you should be fine

kuticakesncookies Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:40am
post #8 of

Thanks everyone for your great answers! I really appreciate it!

Yes, they will be decorated sugar cookies, not drop cookies.

Yes, I'm excited about the order, I've never done a big one like this...keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks again for your super answers and suggestions!

Chonte Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:34am
post #9 of

let us know how it goes and don't forget to post pictures!!! let us know when you do!!

katnmouse Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:50am

I cannot even imagine facing 5000 cookies to bake and decorate. icon_eek.gif You are one brave soul! I would love to know how you pace a project like this.

kuticakesncookies Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:12am

I will blindly jump in with both feet and hope for the best. Thanks for your answers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%