Does Anyone Know How Long These Things Can Be Sitting Around

Decorating By cupncake1 Updated 29 May 2011 , 2:08pm by DSmo

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 10

When I make large quantities of cupcakes, I dont have room in my fridge for al of them, I dont want anyone getting sick so these are the things in (or on) my cupcakes that I have some concern about-
Lemon curd
cream cheese frosting
pastry pride whipped topping
frosting with 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
homemade fruit fillings
chocolate ganache
chocolate pudding
So I do know for example that chocolate pudding will go bad if I leave it out- I'm just not sure how long, any info is helpful

9 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 10

The only thing I see in your list that could for sure go w/o refridgeration for any length of time is the ganache. I don't know about the Pastry Pride and the frosting would depend on what kind. I use a straight BC w/ butter, milk, PS and flavoring, it can sit out until it dries out once applied but in a sealed container it will go bad in a few days (due to moisture).

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 10

It looks like all of them (maybe except the ganache) needs to be refrigerated.

If you don't have room in your fridge for them, when someone orders, let them know that and offer other suggestions if they aren't able to make immediatley pick them up. If they are insistent on those flavors, then tell them they have to make arrangements for refrigeration. I agree that is a very important concern. If someone gets sick from something that should be refrigerated and it isn't, you could lose everything if you don't have some REALLY good insurance. People are so sue-happy these days.

Nanassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanassweets Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:25am
post #4 of 10

Hi, If your business is going well maybe invest in a fridge/freezer just for your business. Have you thought about freezing your cupcakes then filling your order with these? By the time you deliver them they will be thawed. I'm learning that the bakery items freeze well and seem to taste better when thawed. Every ingredient on your list can be frozen. If your finances don't permit a fridge/freezer now then freeze some and refrigerate some. How these tips help, God Bless!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:46am
post #5 of 10

I too would say that everything except the ganache would have to be refrigerated. I would look into buying a good used frig if cost is the issue. If you issue with not having another frig is space, then you really need to have the order picked up as soon as possible after preparation.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 29 May 2011 , 8:01am
post #6 of 10

Hmm... I'm just a hobby baker, but we regularly leave cream cheese frostings and frosting with small amounts of heavy cream on the counter for days at a time. Never had any problems. As most fruit doesn't require refrigeration, I would suspect fruit fillings would keep pretty well, too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 10

Hm . . . I'd say everything except the icing with a small amount of cream and the Pastry Pride needs to be refrigerated.

Fruit fillings are actually good media for bacteria. Plenty of water and a good food source with the sugar. It's the water that is naturally in there that's the problem. Cream cheese, unless you specifically know you have added enugh sugar to cause the water to be unavailable to the bacteria, needs to be refrigerated. Curds, yes, refrigerate.

Just beacause it "looks OK" or "doesn't have a funny smell" or "I tasted it and it was fine" does NOT mean it's food safe. Many bacteria compromised foods have no off taste or smell but will make you sick anyway.

And this is why I don't offer those things.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 10

I would fridge everything except the ganache, frosting with the miniscule amount of cream and the lemon curd if it is out of a jar rather than homemade (homemade I would keep chilled).

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 10

Leah, I'm curious as to what fillings you offer.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 10

Depending on where you live and how you're operating your business, you may not be allowed to use ingredients that require refrigeration. For example, here in Ohio, the cottage food law does not allow for foods that require refrigeration. But if it's a inspected, licensed home bakery, you would be required to have adequate refrigerator space that is kept at the appropriate temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%