Cake Boards And Covering With Fondant

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 26 May 2011 , 8:25pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 15

Ok I've looked at how to cover them, so I think I'm good with that. My question is what kind of board do you use? The only ones I can get here locally are the drums that are covered with either gold or silver foil or white paper covering.

I'd like to cover in fondant, use my impression mat, and do a ribbon around the edge. I don't think I can do that with those pre-covered ones. What do you guys use?

Thanks,
AW

14 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 15

Yes you can use the foil covered boards, they work fine. You can also use thick foam core boards as well.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 15

My dh cuts all my boards for me from plywood. But I don't see why you couldn't use the drums covered in foil. Just mist it with water and it should stick to it.

AnnieCahill Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 15

Really? I wasn't sure if that would work. Do you think the ribbon would adhere well to the side? The foil is kind of folded over the edge and down to the bottom, if that makes sense. I thought the ribbon would be lumpy on the side.

Thanks again!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 15

I used MDF from Home Depot for my stacked book cake and covered the edge with ribbon. I used a glue stick to adhere the ribbon to the edge.

AnnieCahill Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for your help. Do they have standard sizes, or do you have to ask them to cut it for you?

tiggy2 Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 15

I bought a 2' x 4' and they cut it for free

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 15

Are you talking about bringing the fondant down to the sides of the cake board as well and then adding ribbon? Because you don't need to do that. Just do the top and add the ribbon around the sides. I do that will all my cakes (not the fondant top--so far I've only done one of those). I've found those little glue dots work well for attaching the ribbon as well as the hot glue gun!

AnnieCahill Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 15

Ok great. I'm going to check that out as well. Thanks so much!

By the way, your stacked book cake is AWESOME!

tiggy2 Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 15

No, I didn't bring it down the sides, I only covered the the top of the board of with fondant.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 15

I use the drums all the time and cover the tops with fondant and attach ribbon to the sides. I actually use non toxic craft glue to attach my ribbon. Hot glue always got bumpy on me and the craft glue gives me more time to adjust the placement of the ribbon.

AnnieCahill Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 15

Silly,

Do your drums have the paper covering on them? The ones I buy have the covering that is folded down the edge and glued to the bottom. It's kind of lumpy on the edge because of that existing paper coating. I was worried about ribbon getting all bunched up on the edge because of the paper.

Thanks,
Annie

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:03pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Silly,

Do your drums have the paper covering on them? The ones I buy have the covering that is folded down the edge and glued to the bottom. It's kind of lumpy on the edge because of that existing paper coating. I was worried about ribbon getting all bunched up on the edge because of the paper.

Thanks,
Annie

If I don't buy the kind that are already foiled, then I cover them myself with Freezer Paper. So regardless, the edges are always a little rough looking. That's why you should use ribbon...to cover up the edges. It doesn't 'bunch up'.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 15

I use the foil covered cake drums but like cat ikon mentioned the edges are always a little bumpy but that doesn't show once I attach the ribbon.

AnnieCahill Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 15

Ok thanks for the help. I wish they just sold the plain drums without the covering but oh well. I guess no one's going to be looking that closely at it anyway. Thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%