Another Cottage Food Law ?

Decorating By n_jean Updated 26 May 2011 , 3:57pm by jason_kraft

n_jean Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sure you all are tiered of these kind of questions about cottage food laws. I have many questions.
I live in KS where we do not have a cottage food law at this time. I have read a few where they went to the state to get one passed. How did this happen, what did you do or say to get it passed.
Another thing, I do live in a small community. It takes 60 miles to get to a town that has a population with 5 didgets. There are several people who make cakes around here and I know they are not legal. They all bake from their homes and in the history of home baking around here, no one has ever had an issue. It only takes the one time, I know... Anyway, I would love to be legal but dont know how to make it happen or anything else. (We live in a small enough town there is no way I would I would be able to do this full time, I just want to be a legal hobbiest icon_smile.gif)
Another thing, do any of you have just a liablity insurance threw your inserance co? If so, how much are you insured for and how much does it cost you a year??

3 replies
jason_kraft Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 4

It's easy to be a legal hobbyist in a state without a cottage food law, just don't charge anything for your cakes.

As for liability insurance, we use The Hartford through Wells Fargo and pay $500/year (we operate out of a rented commercial kitchen in CA, not a retail shop).

n_jean Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 4

well... not charging is too expensive, we very much live from pay check to pay check, that's why I want to make money at it and that's why I posted this question... sorry I didnt make that clear. I just cant afford to make cakes for free.

jason_kraft Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 4

If you just want to practice decorating you can try using cake dummies, which are reusable.

Regarding getting a cottage food law passed, your best bet is to contact your local representative. You can find out who that is here:

If you can meet your rep face-to-face that would have the biggest impact, otherwise a clear and succinct letter, phone call, or email would work. When talking with your rep you'll probably want to emphasize how a cottage food law would increase state revenues by allowing income tax to be collected from home bakers who are currently operating illegally, and charging home bakers an annual fee would cover the costs of implementing the new law.

Quote by @%username% on %date%