Mmf Help

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 26 May 2011 , 6:18pm by Herekittykitty

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 6

I made a batch of MMF and I colored a portion of it, and now it just crumbles into pieces when I try to roll it out. I put powdered sugar on my work area, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have made MMF a bunch of times, but it has never acted like this. What do I do?? Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 6

Did you try to make it a dark color? Often the paste or gel coloring can change the texture of the MMF. Try adding some corn syrup and/or a little more shortening.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 6

Try kneading in a small bit of shortening.

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 6

I used to have this problem all the time. You need to color the MMF when it's still in the bowl as liquid marshmallows. When you get the right color, then start adding the sugar. The sugar will hardly change the color of the mixture. Add sugar until it feels like the right consistency. This always works for me.

To fix the current batch, you could melt down a bunch of marshmallows (maybe 1/2 of what you were using) and stir the sticky glob in. It will be hard to get it all kneaded into a uniform color with no chunks of the old stuff, but you might be able to do it.

I've tried the shortening and corn syrup, they never worked for me. The marshmallows worked like a charm though.

Good luck!

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 6

To me though, it seems like it isn't the color that is the problem.....it is the powdered sugar that I use to make it not stick to my work place. It seems like that is drying out the fondant. Could that be??

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 6

It's very possible. The MMF is absorbing the PS which is making it more dry. you need very very little PS to keep it from sticking. I usually use either a very thin coat of Shortning or corn starch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%