Wilton Purple/violet Fondant Icing

Decorating By Callmesugar Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm by BlakesCakes

Callmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callmesugar Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:20am
post #1 of 6

Hi, I was hoping someone could shine some light on what may have happened to my fondant. I tinted some Satin ice fondant purple with Wilton violet gel colour and I let the fondant, tightly wrapped, sit over night. The fondant discoloured on one side to baby blue.

I have had the "learning experience" of drying a cake board near a window overnight and the morning sun bleached the mauve to a pale pink so I had made sure this time that there was no light on the fondant.

Would it have been heat? I had some fondant pink roses put away in an egg carton that also bleached out to a pale pink- no light. Heat is the only thing I can come up with?

I was very nervous about the fondant drying blue once on the cake but I put the cake in a cool, dark room over night and it was just fine the next day. I love Americolor and am slowly replacing my Wiltons as I didn't want to throw away so many colours. Any in put would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:28am
post #2 of 6

It's light that fades purples. And it doesn't just happen with Wilton, I have three different shades of Americolor purples and they all fade terribly too. Generally I find it's the pink tone that fades out, leaving the fondant/gumpaste either blue or grey-blue, depending on the starting shade.

Any purple decorations I want to dry before using I store in an open container in a dark cupboard until dry. If I have a whole cake that has purple on it which needs to be kept for more than a few hours I put in a spare room with the curtains drawn and door shut.

You could try colouring your fondant with petal dusts rather than using gel colours, they seem to hold their colour much better.

Callmesugar Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I will try that. I did have success keeping the cake in a dark spare room icon_smile.gif

Does pre-coloured purple fondant (satin ice or fondarific for example) fade too?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 6

Florescent lights will do it too.

Crystal color's purple doesn't fade. It's a powder color and they are a little pricey, but I did test it out with a scrap piece of fondant and in a week with both sunlight and florescent light they remained the same.

Callmesugar Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks Texas SuperStar!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 6

ChefMaster makes a no fade purple & a no fade pink that works great.

The pre-colored purple fondants don't seem to fade much, either.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%