Tennessee Baking Laws

Business By JustGettinStarted Updated 31 May 2011 , 12:03am by SweetSouthernBakery

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:44am
post #1 of 3

Hello CC friends!
I live in Tennessee and I am a hobby baker. I'm really enjoying doing it and am slowly getting better at this craft. I am a teacher by trade, but am at home with my son right now. My husband and I have discussed trying to open a small bakery later in life (when we have enough money). I'm trying to decide if it is something I would want to do or not.

In the meantime, I'm trying to understand what it takes to bake and sell from my home here in Tennessee. I know each county may have different rules, but in general, what does it take?

I've read through the cottage food info and I'm seriously confused. Does the cottage food law apply to home cake bakers/decorators? Why can I not figure this out? haha Any help would be appreciated.

It's not something I could do any time soon, but I figure when I get the money, maybe I should try to sell from home before I take the huge investment and try to open a shop. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

2 replies
aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 3

Go to www.tn.gov and look up "Domestic Kitchen License", you should find all your answers there!! icon_smile.gif

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%