Premium Flavours

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 26 May 2011 , 11:13am by costumeczar

pmarks0 Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 7

I'm just wondering about charging for premium cake and filling flavours and how you decide what is considered premium.

I know that carrot cake would be premium as would a ganache filling. I'm guessing that a fresh fruit filling (puree, curd or otherwise) would be considered premium.

What other flavours do you consider to be a premium flavour?
I use both American and Swiss Meringue buttercreams but don't consider the Swiss premium. Do you?
If my per piece costs are (for example) $3 for buttercream, $4 for buttercream with fondant accents and $5 for all fondant do you just add 50 cents per piece for a premium flavour or is it not as simple as that?

Thanks

6 replies
karateka Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 7

I judge premium flavors on cost. Carrot cake costs me more because mine uses honey and maple syrup to sweeten it, and has pecans in it. More expensive for me, more expensive for them. I put the ingredients in Cake Boss, see how much it costs me for a certain size compared to non premium like chocolate or vanilla, and upcharge accordingly. Same for pound cake: more butter, more eggs (at $3/ dozen for cage free) so more cost for them.

Anything that costs you more, either in time spent making it, ingredients spent making it, money in buying it, time spent working with it while decorating....these are premium. You have to know what you spend and how much time it takes you to make it and decorate with it.

If it takes you twice as long to smooth a cake with SMBC, then it is costing you more in labor to make a cake iced in that. So you pass the cost along. Although if the other bakeries in town aren't charging more, you either have to realize that you may lose business.....or get better at working with the stuff.

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 7

I would consider premiums flavors like Guava...Mango...extra special fillings and icings that take more ingredients than icing sugar and butter/shortening..From what I've noticed many cake artists charge an extra 50 cents to a $1.00 more per serivng for premium flavors...I also consider SMBC and IMBC premium because of the time it takes to make and the amount of butter used.

jason_kraft Posted 25 May 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 7

All our cake flavors are the same price (they all cost roughly the same in terms of ingredients and labor). All our flavored buttercreams are also the same price, the only difference is which extract we use. We do charge a premium for vegan cream cheese, fruit filling, ganache, and lemon curd fillings.

costumeczar Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7

I don't charge differently either. It all evens out, my ingredient costs are usually about 10% of the gross recepits for the week. For every client who wants ganache there are three who want something basic, so the "premuim" flavors don't really add that much to the total.

pmarks0 Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:56am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for the different ideas. I understand more cost to me for ingredients get passed on to the customer. I have CakeBoss and I do see when something costs more. I was just wondering what other cakers did. It's an intersting idea to charge the same price for all flavours as the number of people requesting premium flavours is fewer than those not.

costumeczar Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:13am
post #7 of 7

I think that rather than charging more for "premium" flavors, you should just make sure that you're charging enough overall for everything. If you are, the premium/regular flavor thing isn't such a big deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%