Help...cake Bulges...no Matter What I Do.

Decorating By sherylshirley Updated 27 May 2011 , 3:18am by sugarshack

sherylshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherylshirley Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 14

No matter what I do I my cakes bulge. I've torted with thick buttercream, I've chilled before fondant, I've chilled after fondant, I've even put 2 layers of fondant on a tier and it still bulged. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

13 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 14

Do you trim up the sides of the cake before icing them to make sure they are perfectly straight? If you do, it almost sounds like your cake is a lighter texture and is collapsing on itself with the weight of the icing.

napa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
napa Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 14

once i have filled my cakes and before crumb coating i put weight on top of them - normally wrapped fondant (twice as much as I will be using to cover the cake). I leave it for a few hrs and this seems to just let any filling bulge so it can be smoothed again before covering with fondant. since i've been doing this i've not had bulges.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 May 2011 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 14
sherylshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherylshirley Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you all for the suggestions. and thank you Texas Sugar for the link. It was great help. I will definitely use the tile method next time.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 14

icon_smile.gif

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 14

Since summer and heat are here. I'm trying something different. I'm making my dam out of cake ball stuff (the cake/frosting mix) I either pipe it around the cake with just a coupler on the bag or just shape it into a log. So far good results.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 14

Does it only happen to cakes covered in fondant? If so, try using ganache instead of buttercream. There is a thread floating around that has several youtube video links about how to make chocolate and white chocolate ganache and cover a cake with fondant using this form of icing.

I only use white chocolate ganache under fondant (doesn't change the flavors any more than using buttercream). Works great in my opinion.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

Since summer and heat are here. I'm trying something different. I'm making my dam out of cake ball stuff (the cake/frosting mix) I either pipe it around the cake with just a coupler on the bag or just shape it into a log. So far good results.

Do you make a really stiff cake ball mixture? Ratio? Thanks.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

Do you make a really stiff cake ball mixture? Ratio? Thanks.

I made it two parts cake and one part frosting (from a can). I've never made cake balls so I'm not sure what that ratio is. I made it from cake scraps from leveling and shaping the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2011 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 14

This is what I consider the best article on anti-bulging. http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

(You will have to cut-n-paste the link since CC hilites the 'cake boss' part)

How the cake is leveled seems to be the key in having a nice looking no-bulge cake. I know that once I found this article, I saw a definite improvement in my own cakes.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 26 May 2011 , 10:15pm
post #12 of 14

I do the exact same thing that Indy does. Pipe a thick rope of frosting where the each layer or seam meets. I use a small offset spatula to smooth the excess frosting into and around the "seams", wait a bit for the BC to set up, then crumb coat the entire cake.
I was given this hint by a fellow caker quite a few years ago, and can honestly say, my bulging problems disapeared shortly after. thumbs_up.gif

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:53am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This is what I consider the best article on anti-bulging. http://www..com/PreventBulging.aspx

(You will have to cut-n-paste the link since CC hilites the '' part)

How the cake is leveled seems to be the key in having a nice looking no-bulge cake. I know that once I found this article, I saw a definite improvement in my own cakes.

SO glad to have found this post! I was just about to post a question to ask about air pockets in my bc icon_razz.gif

I've been doing a version of this and have still had a few minor buldging issues, but today I had an air pocket in my bc! I've never had that happen before and was at a total loss as to why. I read this and got my answer! I also saw that they make their dam 1/4-1/2in away from the edge and then go back and fill in, where I place mine right along the edge. I'm planning to follow their way with hopes that it will help me with my problems thumbs_up.gif
THANKS INDYDEBI!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:18am
post #14 of 14

also the denseness and sturdiness of the cake may be an issue. If the cake is too soft, it will compress upon itself causing a bulge, despite you doing everything "right."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%